Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Decisions, decisions...

Registered
    Sep 2005

Decisions, decisions...

Hi, all.

I'm at a career crossroads right now. My wife and I have applied for the Peace Corps and gone through nearly the whole (year+ long) process. Originally, I was supposed to do an urban development project somewhere in Africa, but now they're telling us that the project has closed. The replacement offer may be as far afield as IT/business.

When the waiting for PC bureaucracy was getting hard, I also applied for a planning "fellowship" that operates vaguely like an AmeriCorps assignment in a rural area. It would be exactly the kind of planning experience I want and need to get into the field (I have a nonaccredited MUA and some experience with a nonplanning-related state agency). But, of course, it wouldn't be Africe.

Long-term, I'd like to get into the international planning consulting business; medium-term, I'd like to do some comprehensive town planning.

Life-experience-wise, I think each opportunity could be valuable in its own way. Living in Africa for two years would be awesome. But, I am also really anxious to actually start "doing planning."

Any thoughts on how either move might affect my career?

Well, if you have two alternatives with one being planning-related and one not being related, clearly the planning-related fellowship would be more beneficial to your long term prospects as a planner. Even if your intention is to get into international development or international projects, if you wish to do so as a planner, then I would suggest the planning fellowship.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Is you heart set on Africa or would you want to do development issues anywhere? The PC has development opportunity in many areas of the world like Asia and Eastern Europe.

You could also look at other NGO's if you want to serve overseas or even USAID. USAID only hires sporaticly and you could be sidelined for another year or more.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. MIT decisions
    Student Commons
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Mar 2010, 11:17 PM
  2. Final decisions?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 80
    Last post: 29 Nov 2009, 9:30 PM
  3. Decisions....Decisions
    Student Commons