Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Does your agency pay for your APA/AICP dues?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    The County I work in pays for 50% of our APA/AICP dues and a 50% reimbursement of the AICP Exam fee, if you pass.
    Prediction is difficult, especially about the future. :-o
    - Yogi Berra

Registered
    Nov 2006
    The town I work for is paying all of my APA dues and I've requested that the AICP test and fees be included in next year's budget when I am eligible to test. They are very supportive of my on going training and professional certification. I am fortunate.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    Do people get the paid at their jobs for the national conference and conference housing?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Veggie View post
    Do people get the paid at their jobs for the national conference and conference housing?
    yes, I negotiated it when I interviewed -

I think it's something you have to lay out front because it is pricey when it all adds up, or, you can layer it, say first FY budget year you have the budget set up so they pay the conference fee and you pay everything else, then the next FY, go for conference and hotels, and so on until you have it all paid for

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Most places I am familiar with, including where I work now, takes any conferences and/or dues costs out of the "professional development" budget. There is always enough in there for one person at my current job to go to the national conference (housing, air fare, per diem food, etc), and several of us can go to the state conference or other nearby workshops, order books, and stuff like that.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    If I went maybe I would still be on the clock.
    If I went I would have to pay out of my pocket.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Yup....as well as any other remotely affiliated certification, society dues, etc.

My city pays for APA, AICP, ULI, Congress for New Urb., and just about anything else that is planning related. I just got back from LA at the Smart Groth Conference. "if you want to retain good folks... you gatta make them happy."

Registered
    Aug 2004
    UPDATE:

My company is reimbursing me my APA and AICP dues. I guess asking helps, because HR said to me "I don't know if we pay that - you're the first person to ask!"
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    My employer pays all my professional dues. The jurisdiction I worked for at the time paid my AICP test fees.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2007

Dues payment

The State of Nevada did ot pay my dues.
    However all the cities I have worked for pay both APA and AICP

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

My current employer pays for APA, AICP dues and my state Professional Community Planner certification. I negotiated this in my contract. The labor attorney, during the negotiation, suggested to my employer that this would be to their benefit.

They do not pay for any training or APA meetings or state APA chapter meetings. Pre-approved vacation or personal time would have to be used for any APA meetings or state APA chapter meetings. I was unable to negotiate these into my contract.

My previous employer would pay for my APA, AICP and my state PCP certification, and some training. They would pay for state annual APA chapter meeting if the firm had a booth there. Would not pay for time off or travel for any National APA meetings.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    My last job paid for it..even my extra division dues. Now I foot the bill...and in our area of inflated salaries...the dues are quite high. They pay dues for our commissioners only.

They are paying for my confernence and dues because I am speaking on a work project. ... I even put in for one the $$$ hotels right across from the convention center.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Apr 2007

APA/AICP dues Paid by Employer

My new employer of 2 months pays for APA/AICP membership dues. Everyone in my office possess' AICP certification except for me which I hope to attain May 19th.

Registered
    Apr 2007

Tuition Reimbursement, other employee benefits

Any other planners' employer fund tuition for masters or continuing education (i.e. AICP)? Let me know, just seeing what else you guys get. Thanks again, and glad to be here at cyburbia.

Registered
    Feb 2007

Sure Does!

My employer funds for attendance of conferences, and will refund the cost of the AICP exam if you pass, as well as pay for the day you missed work. As for master degree, the my help on obtaining the master degree, but i am not sure what "help" means. You should always try to negotiate with your employer on trying to cover some costs in your salary for either attendance of conferences, dues, etc. Even if that may come in a form a slight pay raise, just put the money aside on your end to ensure you have the funds for dues and conferences.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by rcbuffett View post
    Any other planners' employer fund tuition for masters or continuing education (i.e. AICP)? Let me know, just seeing what else you guys get. Thanks again, and glad to be here at cyburbia.
    Moderator note:
    Welcome to Cyburbia. I've merged your thread with an existing thread covering the same topic.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Apr 2007
    thanks for moving it, this helps with the answer to AICP dues. Anybody else attending or looking to attend a master's program on your employers tab?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by rcbuffett View post
    thanks for moving it, this helps with the answer to AICP dues. Anybody else attending or looking to attend a master's program on your employers tab?
    If my beloved comp plan passes this November and I get a good staff planner in here to take on the regulatory stuff (did i mention the guy I hired quit to go to architecture school?), yes, I will be seeking my MPA, long overdue

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 14 Jan 2014, 9:57 PM
  2. Why are AICP/APA dues insane?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 55
    Last post: 19 Apr 2011, 4:55 PM
  3. AICP/APA dues
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 5