Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: PATH to Newark/ Liberty Airport

Registered
    Jan 2007

PATH to Newark/ Liberty Airport

Has there ever been any study, serious or otherwise, to extend the PATH from Newark Penn Station out to the Newark / Liberty Airport Rail Station ? Mayor Bloomberg, among others, have mentioned it over the years.

Any Suggestions on an intermediate stop ?
    How about South Street/Mulberry Street ?

Wasn't there a South Street stop on the Old Penn RR line ?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Its easy enough to take the bus from the airport to the station. The only benefit I can see for that would be a seamless train from the airport to Manhatten. Not everyone landing is going to Manhatten. For example, I took the bus from the airport to Penn Station and went S to Princeton. A train might have made that trip more complex than that.

Whats good for Bloomberg may not be good for Jersey.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Sep 2006
    Plus, there is already rail from Newark Liberty to Midtown Manhattan via NJ Transit Northeast Corridor to Penn Station. I suspect Bloomberg wants PATH to the airport so that Lower Manhattan can have direct service to the airport, but I think they're bigger transportation priorities in the region right now than this. Also that PATH connect would end up being very slow, 40 minutes+ to WTC. And aren't the old Penn right away now the NE Corridor and filled with trains anyway.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    The NJ train to Penn from Newark is very good! Once I made it from Penn at 5:15 for a flight that left at 6:30!

I take it whenever I fly into Newark. Aren't they re-configuring the Train/Metro etc transport connections in Manhattan so that once you're at Penn you have better options?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Yeah there is really no need to extend the PATH to Newark airport. The Amtrak northeast corridor has 4 lines that go right there and you can take any number of NJTransit trains and sometimes an occasional Amtrak from Penn Newark to the airport for 5 bucks I believe. The cost of extending the PATH line would be a white elephant when there are so many other transit projects needed in the next 20 years. . . do I hear trans Hudson tunnel?
    @GigCityPlanner

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Why Newark, NJ is going to hell...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 21 Nov 2012, 11:11 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 14 Nov 2012, 4:26 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 03 Jul 2007, 7:45 PM
  4. The Path to 9/11