Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: The 2007 Garden Thread

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    Ok...I haven't said anything until now, but I planted a small vegetable garden in early June (yeah...that's probably too late) that consisted of green onion seeds, 2 cucumber starter plants, 2 jalapeno starters, a cubano pepper starter, and a bell pepper starter.

Ok.....

I didn't realize cucumber plants got so large so quickly, so they grew over the jalapenos. But I got lots of flowers, but zilch for fruit. No bee pollination, perhaps?

The green onions actually came up by the end of June, but stopped and never got larger than small sprouts,. I even thinned their number to see if that would help. No help.

The jalapenos produced some flowers and I thought I saw some very baby fruit, but I think the critters ate them before they got really going. This also goes for the cubanos and bells.

Before anyone asks....I didn't really do any research before setting up the garden and thinking out the appropriate plant placement.

It was a fun experience though. I may try the peppers again next year.
    I'm in the same boat, started late with little planning. But we will be able to harvest something

This year was our first family garden, and we put in the tomato, pepper, squash and aubergine seedlings sometime in june. Planted corn, carrots and sunflowers on the 4th of July. We are getting lots of tomatoes, the peppers are slow but coming around and the eggplants (love those flowers) about a half dozen are lookig good. The zucchini got powdery mildew and died.

The corn has tassles and silk strands peeking out where a corn ear is growing, we may get full sized corn before halloween or baby corns for asian stir fry.

It was a good garden, we are going plan it better next year. I'd like a bean teepee, and a grape arbor and a self watering system.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon View post
    some hot chit

Great pictures! You should make your own tobasco sauce using the dried peppers.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2004

Energizer Bunny Garden Harvest

Dang, last night I just harvested yet another quart of tomatoes and enough pole beans for dinner! This may seem unremarkable to some of you, but we are 2 weeks past the average first frost date for my area. Normally the only thing left alive in the garden by now is the parsley, pumpkin, or maybe some late season cabbage.....but we're still harvesting summer vegetables (heck, I've even got a tiny green pepper going that might make it to billiard ball size if the weather pattern keeps on til Sunday). I was going to cull the remaining parsley last weekend but I guess we'll see how long we can extend this remarkably long growing season. I guess Mother Nature is paying some reparations for the drought earlier this year!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    My jalapenos are the same way
    I've made:
    Salsa
    Chipoltes
    Jalapeno mash
    Jalapeno relish
    Jalapeno jelly
    Pineaple jalapeno jelly
    Raspberry jalapeno jelly
    Pickled jalapenos

I have over 100 still on the vine. The wife says to ignore them, but I just can't.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by savemattoon View post
    My jalapenos are the same way
    I've made:
    Salsa
    Chipoltes
    Jalapeno mash
    Jalapeno relish
    Jalapeno jelly
    Pineaple jalapeno jelly
    Raspberry jalapeno jelly
    Pickled jalapenos

I have over 100 still on the vine.
    Yeah, having a couple extra definitely helps out for this week, but what about next week if you should decide to make a little chili to go along with your jalapeno and peanut butter sandwiches, jalapeno hash, eggs jalapeno, jalapeno salad, a couple pitchers of jalapenoaide (or heck, what about just having a few extra jalapenos to munch on while watching the game)? She doesn't sound like someone who plans very far ahead is all I'm saying.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    I'm ashamed to say that I've become bored with the garden this fall. I'm still pulling off tomatoes as they ripen, but i'm just coring and freezing them rather than doing more canning. The green beans keep on coming, but I can't eat any more right now, so i'm letting them dry and will shell them later.

The first frost will almost be a relief.

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

More at Cyburbia

1. The 2011 Garden Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 123
    Last post: 08 Sep 2011, 9:58 AM
  2. 2010 Garden Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 183
    Last post: 01 Dec 2010, 10:15 AM
  3. The 2009 Garden Thread