Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Transporting tourists

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2006

Transporting tourists

Hi,

I doing research for the City of Santa Cruz, California. Part of my job is to research fast and efficient transportation options specifically geared toward transporting tourists from hotels to retail areas and other attratctions.

One of our councilman is interested in PRT, but other than that not much has been suggeted.

Does any one have any ideas or know of similiar projects. I have looked into the tourist trolleys that exist in many places, but for various reasons this doesn't seem to be the best option for us.

Thanks for your help.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    The J Pod is the best PRT out there, that said, I am not a planner, just a transit geek. They don't have a track record, and their website has some weird notions for most folks. But even with all that, they have the best mechanical prototype and best switching capabilities, so someone has to have it together from a technical standpoint.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by zplan View post
    I doing research for the City of Santa Cruz, California. Part of my job is to research fast and efficient transportation options specifically geared toward transporting tourists from hotels to retail areas and other attratctions.
    Have you looked at the taxicab? It is a gas-powered PRT vehicle operated by highly-trained drivers along existing public streets. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Here is our system -

http://www.exploreacadia.com/

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Do conference centers bring tourists?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 15 Oct 2012, 4:40 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 25 Jun 2008, 6:52 PM
  3. Lifelong Tourists
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 03 Jan 2004, 11:16 AM
  4. The problem with tourists and bums...
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 31 Jul 2003, 2:12 PM