Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Canadian Institute of Planners Members: oral exam experiences?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Canadian Institute of Planners Members: oral exam experiences?

I'm taking the oral exam on February 16th, for my last hurdle to my MCIP designation. Any advice on what (if anything) to study? I'm okay with early development patterns in Canada, having read the Hodge book, but I'm not too versed in the national government's role in planning. I'm totally good on Alberta enabling legislation though.

Any advice on what to bone up on is greatly appreciated!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    It was a while ago and I am not sure what they are like in AB, but here the planning community is so small I knew both my interviewers quite well. They asked me about my work experiences, gave me a few scenarios and asked what I would do. I think there were some ethics type questions. I don't remember being asked about planning history or the feds. There are some guidelines on the API website: http://www.atlanticplanners.org/Abou...AN/ORAL.HTM#1l

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Awesome link... thanks! Most of the people out here that had their interview did so in the early 90s, so they don't remember what the interview was like. I'm guessing I'll do okay, especially with the scenarios/ethics. I'll let you know how it goes...

From the Ontario perspective (which should be same/similar):

Exam A is not about the substance of planning in Canada - that was (should have) been covered by Exam B requirements (if not exempted). Exam A is principally focused key areas like: (a) what you specialization is; (b) skills and knowledge of the profession; (c) professional responsibilities; (d) ethics, and (e) committment to the profession.

Any specific questions fire away or PM me.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Hi,

I just had my oral exam in December and it went very well. Most of the questions revolve around planning practice and how you would approach, assess and analyze certain problems. Particularly, they asked questions relating to how you would act in certain situations i.e. - if you were asked to do something by a client that could compromise the integrity and professionalism of planning, how would you approach this demand?

Here's the deal, just relax, be confident and just answer the questions as best as you can.

Good luck!
    "First we shape our buildings, and then our buildings start shaping us." - Sir Winston Churchill

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Well, it all went just fine. We had good philosophical conversations about various aspects of planning. I gave my perspective as an out-of-country planner about things the Membership could do different, which I think was well-received. I'd be *very* surprised if I didn't pass. Guess I'll find out in the next few weeks. Thanks everyone for the suggestions!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Just got news that I passed the oral exam, so I'm a full member of CIP now. So am I the first cyburbian to be certifiable in both countries?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Canadian planners working in the US?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 02 Jun 2014, 9:55 AM
  2. Replies: 28
    Last post: 15 Apr 2005, 2:10 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 30 Mar 2004, 7:01 PM