Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Job change, but previously scheduled vacation

Registered
    Dec 2002

Job change, but previously scheduled vacation

How have you guys handled a potential job change, even though you already have a vacation planned and paid for? More specifically, when is the right time to bring up the fact that you already have a vacation planned, yet you want to take a new job if offered? Do you say something prior to getting an official offer, say during an interview? Or do you wait until the position has been offered and then ask if they will allow you to take the time for your previously scheduled vacation, even though you may not have vacation time right away?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I had this very situation 7 years ago before I started this job. I simply stated my available start date wasn't until I returned from vacation after I was offered the job.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Wait until after you're offered the job and mention it when you negotiate your actual start date. They'll most likely grant you that time off without pay.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2002
    Originally posted by NHPlanner:
    I had this very situation 7 years ago before I started this job. I simply stated my available start date wasn't until I returned from vacation after I was offered the job.
    That would be an ideal situation. However, my vacation is in April and the potential job is currently posted. There is no guarantee I even get the job, but if I do, I'm not sure I could hold off the start date that long. I suspect, as Planderella mentioned, if I was offered a position, they would likely grant me the time without pay.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dashboard View post
    However, my vacation is in April and the potential job is currently posted. .
    Have you even applied for the position yet? If you do earn the position, are you planning on starting the new job right away and then taking the vacation in April? If that were the case, I would hope that the old employer would allow you to cash all of your unusued vacation, sick, personal time that you have left, and your hopefully your new employer would allow you to take the vacation in April as leave without pay (that way you don't eat in to your vacation time at your current job).

Do not bring up the vacation issue in the interview. When you receive a letter of offer from the company, then negotiate the vacation (as everyone else has mentioned). If you are applying for a high stress, very demanding job in an boiler room setting, taking a vacation (and yes you have the right to a vacation) might interfere with your learning curve.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dashboard View post
    Or do you wait until the position has been offered and then ask if they will allow you to take the time for your previously scheduled vacation, even though you may not have vacation time right away?
    This is my advice - wait for the second interview when they are offering it to you - make sure they put approval in writing to you in their formal offer letter.

I have been on both sides of this - asking and approving and it worked fine

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by nrschmid View post
    Do not bring up the vacation issue in the interview. When you receive a letter of offer from the company, then negotiate the vacation (as everyone else has mentioned).
    I agree. I had to do the same thing a few years back. I had my wedding and honeymoon planned before I started a new job. They gave me the week off (allowing me to borrow vacation time from the next year).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Any *good* employer will respect the prior commitment. It's definitely a point of negotiation whether or not its paid leave or not.

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    Wait until after you're offered the job and mention it when you negotiate your actual start date. They'll most likely grant you that time off without pay.
    I agree completly. This is exactly what happened with me. I started for a few weeks, took off for a week (unpaid), and jumped right back on board upon my return.
    Satellite City Enabler

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Chet View post
    Any *good* employer will respect the prior commitment. It's definitely a point of negotiation whether or not its paid leave or not.
    I agree entirely. I have had several situations like this, on both sides of the table. Its never been a problem, and usually been resolved as time off with pay (either borrowing vacation or using some form of comp time.)

But don't bother to bring it up until you are ready to ACCEPT the job. Bringing it up too early is inappropriate. I wouldn't get obsessed with getting it in writing - again, being too pushy about that sends the wrong message. If they say they will honor it, you have to be ready to trust that.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Ditto what everyone else says. The way some places move at a snail's pace when it comes to hiring, even if you were offered the job it may not be until after your planned vacation, so don't sweat it. If for some reason they only give you the job if you don't take the vacation, then I guess you're just SOL and you'll have to wait to take the vacation some other time. But I'd say that is extremely unlikely.

My hubby started a new job a few years ago, and right after he accepted it we got tickets to attend Jerry Springer, which was something we'd waited a few months for. Well, he only had to take one day off for that, and called in sick (though I don't condone this )

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i've been in the same situation in two previous jobs. (what can i say, i like my vacation!) and after i was offered the position i told them that i had the vacation scheduled and paid for and would be willing to take the time without pay. neither employer had a problem with it.

i agree with the previous posts about waiting until you've been offered the job.

at my current job technically new employees are not allowed to take time off until after their 6 month probationary period even though it is being accrued, but from the beginning my boss has been cool and told me that if i wanted to take any time off in that period it wouldn't be a problem, i could just "borrow" it from the future.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    At the risk of beating a dead horse, ditto to what everyone else has said - wait until an offer is made, then get specifics on how it will be handled (unpaid leave, borrowing against next year's vacation, etc.) and get it in writing. If you're the one that they want, they'll be willing to work with you.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    This is my advice - wait for the second interview when they are offering it to you - make sure they put approval in writing to you in their formal offer letter.

I have been on both sides of this - asking and approving and it worked fine
    I agree with LP, Having a formal writing just ensures both you and the employer. Who knows you found better offer while you are on a vacation? That will be unfair to the employer.

Just don't show up for work those days and see if anybody notices If they do, then you are a valued employee. If they don't, then you are golden as well. It's a win-win!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Previously Saharablueskye
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 09 Aug 2011, 9:35 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Jan 2011, 11:23 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Dec 2010, 12:05 PM
  4. Interview for job I previously had!
    Career Development and Advice