+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The end of Ford?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    The trunk space is awsome on this car.
    How many bodies can you fit in this "large trunk?"
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Obviously we do. Why do you think Honda and Toyota vehicles are so popular?
    During the grand car hunt this past summer, both Fusions and Camrys were looked at and they were very similar. What it came down to was that the Camry has a reputation of being hard to kill and fairly kid friendly. The Fusion just didn't have that rep. So far, it's been a good car.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Am I the only one that thinks Ford's new line looks pretty good; the Fusion, 500, Edge, Escape Hybrid, etc. We just bought a 2006 Taurus a couple months ago, very low miles and a price that couldn't be beat, and a good family car with lots of room and comfort. I know it isn't very stylish, but reliable and comfy. Basically, it is something affordable to tide us over until Hybrid SUVs and Crossovers are more affordable. My family and my husband's family have always been all about Fords, (except I did switch to chrysler products for awhile) and we haven't had problems.

The city I work in, Janesville, WI is home to a giant GM plant that makes SUVs, and if that leaves town it would be devestating. So, I obvioulsy hope something can be done to get all US automakers out of the slump.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    Am I the only one that thinks Ford's new line looks pretty good; the Fusion, 500, Edge, Escape Hybrid, etc.
    Well ... kind of.

The 500 is nice in a 1998 VW Passat sort of way, but with the demand for crossover vehicles, and the rediscovery of station wagons, a 4WD wagon version would sell like cigarettes at a French nicotine convention.

The Fusion: exterior looks nice, but the dashboard looks uninspired; like the climate control system and stereo were afterthoughts. From the review on automotive.com:
    Materials covering the dash are grainy and coarse, the "piano black" plastic trim is artificially shiny and reflective, the fonts and analog clock are pure cheese, and the stereo is a square peg in a trapezoidal hole
    Again, the Fusion is an example of how Ford gives Europe the good stuff. Let's compare the Fusion:

With the Mondeo:

Again, I think the Fusion would sell like tacos in El Paso if it came in a 4WD or station wagon version. I think the Mondeo would sell a lot better, though.

To me, Ford's US lineup just sort of says "rental car". It's not as bad as it used to be, though.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    How many bodies can you fit in this "large trunk?"
    I know this guy named Vito, he will call you with the info, for a price.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    How to fix American car companies:

Take all of their products sold in Europe and bring them here. No need to seriously redesign them--just bring them over, run them through American emissions and send them to the dealerships.

Done.

The Fusion v. Mondeo is a prime example of how Ford screws up its domestic products.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    American's don't want stylish cars, we want tanks that get 15 mpg but could pull your house off its foundation.

At least that is what the American auto industry seems to think.

I want a micro van similar to the Mazda 5. Basically, a tall, short-lengthed station wagon.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    I can see it now... a cross between the 500 and the Aztek.. yeah I'd buy that!

Actually I like the 500. Sure its uninspiring, but a giant car that gets 30 mpg on the road is just what my 6'5" frame needs! The trunk space is awsome on this car.
    I feel you on that. However, my '06 Maxima is just as big as the 500 gets 28 mpg on the road and fits my 6'7" frame. Other than cost of tires, I don't foresee any major expenses down the road.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    More station wagons - full-size, mid-size, compact.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

Again, I think the Fusion would sell like tacos in El Paso if it came in a 4WD or station wagon version. I think the Mondeo would sell a lot better, though.
    The Fusion SEL has an AWD option.

I 100% agree that the Fusion is a nice looking car who interior was designed by someone with a buck fifty budget and only 1970's materials to choose from.

If the inside of the Mondeo is as stylish as the outside I would be lining up to buy one. The only Ford whose inside and ouside are livable is the Escape.

Another thing hurting the Big 3 IMO is the dealership experience. In 2003 I bought a Nissan Altima but I wanted the last year Olds Alero ( I came from a Chevy/Olds family) but the Olds dealer would not deal with me. I looked at Pontiac but the dealer felt like he was trying to move "hot" merchandise. Both Nissan and Mazda salespeople were attentive and actually listened to my questions and found me answers.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

I know your talking about Ford, but................

I own a 2005 Chevy Colorado 5 cylinder 4wd and it is comfortable, affordable, and functional.............I get 21+ mpg hwy, 18 city.........

It was the 2nd year of production..........I now have 36 K on it and its just getting broken in..............

Thats my 2 cents............

Never buy a Dodge Stratus...........the engine gave out at 62K (warranty was 60) so it cost me 7K to replace the engine.........

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Remember the Yugo?
    I bought one in college in 1998 and was able to pay cash for a NEW car - $4,800. That was unheard of back then. I PROMISED myself that as soon as I got a job after graduation I'd ditch it.

It had its share of quality problems during the warranty period, but we shook out the bugs and it lasted the needed 2 years before I kept my promise.

I think the Chinese cars will make serious inroads into the marketplace if they can control initial quality. They may bury American small car competion like the Focus and Aveo.

As for Ford, I really hope they know what they are doing. They've mortgaged themselves to the hilt and I doubt a government bail out a-la Chrysler in the '80s will be likely.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by planningtoretire View post
    Never buy a Dodge Stratus...........the engine gave out at 62K (warranty was 60) so it cost me 7K to replace the engine.........
    $7,000??? Didn't you shop the repair at that price?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2007
    My brother is a suit for Ford. His job has been phazed out, but he had been promised a different position. He is thinking he will get to move closer to "home."

You know that Ford tried the Mondeo here in the US in the late 1990s. They were called the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique. I owned a Contour and it was the most god-awful vehicle ever. Of course, I know other people that had them and loved them. I must have gotten a Friday car.

Now, I own a Ford Focus PZEV. It has been very reliable so far with great gas mileage. A big plus with the PZEV Is that it is cleaner then a hybrid.

I also have a Ford F-250 Super Duty diesel. That is something that Ford has done well for years, hard working trucks. Everyone that has a truck and uses it for the intended purpose knows that a Ford or a Dodge is what you need. Chevy trucks are for yuppies or fratties that want a nice town truck and does not work it very hard. When I go to an equestrian event, the majority of rigs on the site are Fords with Dodges coming in at a distant second. They may not be pretty but they have gotten the job done for decades.

Maybe heavy trucks will become their main bread and butter?

Registered
    Jan 2007
    Just for fun, the 1999 mondeo and the 1999 contour. See, they did give them a try. I guess they just didn't do well over here.

Slightly O.T. and at the tail end of the thread no less...

The problem with the 7K Chinese car is that it's going to cost the purchaser 35K as it will be marketed and sold in the same hoods that have rent-to-own and check cashing stores.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by graciela View post
    Chevy trucks are for yuppies or fratties that want a nice town truck and does not work it very hard.
    Do you have a sticker on your truck with Calvin peeing on the Chevy logo?
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle View post
    Do you have a sticker on your truck with Calvin peeing on the Chevy logo?
    Oh, no I prefer the "ain't skeered" across the windshield - even better when it is reversed so people can read it in their rear view mirrors.

'scuse my grammer on this here thread tonight. I think the wine has gone to my head. I am really channeling the "inner" redneck.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I don't see Ford dying... at least elsewhere than the US.... Fords are quite popular here...

Quote Originally posted by SkeLeton View post
    I don't see Ford dying... at least elsewhere than the US.... Fords are quite popular here...
    But they don't make any money.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jaws View post
    Did you learn anything during the dot com era? It is ok to lose money on each unit of a product... you'll make it up on volume

Ford needs a new logo, at least for the cars aimed at the younger market. Even the most stylist car is going to look clunky with a big blue oval stuck in the middle of the grill.
    As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron. - H.L. Mencken

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jaws View post
    Ford does make money overseas!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear thinks that Ford Motor Company will survive. But there will be significant changes, some of which we are already seeing.....mass reduction-in-force announcements, plant closings (including a very productive Toledo suburb plant), probably an elimination of certain models (or divisions), significant reductions in pension benefits, major changes to health care plans. I would bet on an alliance, also.....that may be the only way for the big car companies to compete against the successful corporate models known as Toyota and Honda.

All of the auto giants are hard at work developing alternate-fuel vehicles. If Henry's company can let significant bucks funnel to solid R&D, Ford can rejoin the party. The reality of a one-and-a-half-billion people China will open markets for autos of all kinds and continue to put a strain on the availability of conventional fuels. (Prediction: Expressway-designers will be in demand in China.....the world hates us but they all want to be like us.)

My Four Cents Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Ford falls to 4th in sale for January. Ford has been historically 2nd for the past several years. Not only did they get passed by Diamler-Chrysler but also Toyota leapfroged both of them to #2.

January Sales US only (Cars and light trucks excluding commercial vehicles and fleet orders)
    GM - 244,614
    Toyota - 175,850
    Diamler-Chrysler - 173,377
    Ford - 166,835
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 2004
    DetroitPlanner's affirmations:

"This is only temporary"
    "Our economy is well diverisifed here"
    "Eminem and Kid Rock will save us!"

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Oct 2012, 3:39 PM
  2. The President Ford Thread.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 01 Jan 2007, 6:41 PM
  3. Ford Excursion is no more
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19