Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: The end of Ford?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Call me wrong, but I disagree with the assessment of many auto industry analysts and reporters that reviving the Taurus name is a good idea. The Taurus was an innovative car when it first appeared on the market, but as others caught up it just became another ordinary family sedan. To me, the name "Taurus" evokes the image of a rental or municipal fleet car, and not something that would inspire passion. It's got name recognition, but so did the Plymouth Reliant, Dodge Aries, and many other boring cars of their era. Meh.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    yeah, I saw that on the news this morning. Kinda lame. Granted, I own a 2000 Taurus wagon (it was the only used vehicle cheap enough with good space) and I agree it does evoke rental/fleet car status.

Ford doesn't have many more straws at which to grasp.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Although Taurus inspires images or a rental car what does the 500 inspire. The 500 sales are weak and I think Ford was hoping to cash in on the little capital the Taurus name plate has.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    Although Taurus inspires images or a rental car what does the 500 inspire.
    That it's 200 better than the Chrysler 300 C.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Opening an old thread based upon what happened today on Wall Street. GM's IPO was wildly successful. Ford recently announced record profits as well.

Chrysler still has yet to make money, but it was saddled with 10 years of Mercedes and Cerberus bleeding it dry. It is only a few million away from having a profitable quarter. At this week's auto show in Los Angeles Chrysler will debut several new and refreshed vehicles including thier version of the 500 (which is a microcar) and the 200 (which is smaller than the 300, but not as small as the 500?).

What does this mean for my City? Well I am sure that literally millions of people are sleeping better, but we are not out of the woods yet. Unemployment here has dropped again, but is at 12.9 percent as opposed to 9.9 in the rest of the country. Its good that we are gaining jobs, but can this be sustained when we are not selling cars?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 23 Oct 2012, 3:39 PM
  2. The President Ford Thread.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 01 Jan 2007, 6:41 PM
  3. Ford Excursion is no more
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19