Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Valentine's Day Thread

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

2007 Valentine's Day Thread

I hate this time of year. I know it's early but I heard my first -Day advertisement yesterday - on ESPN radio no less. My friend and I have made a pact this year: no gift exchange, just cards.

Are you planning on giving your wife/SO anything this year and if so what?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I have a night meeting this year

I'm guessing we won't exchange gifts... trying to save up for our vacation.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I hate this time of year.
    Are you planning on giving your wife/SO anything this year
    and if so what?
    1 - agree w/ ya - I tell ya it is a conspiracy $$$ by the floral, jewelry, candy, & card industry.
    2 - would have to have one first to give to (AIB RJ - single guy alone on day )
    3 - nothing see above # 2.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite View post
    I have a night meeting this year
    Me too. Should make for yet another fun day!
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I plan on dressing up as a policeman and going to an old garage in Chicago and taking care of a rat.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I hate this time of year.
    Why?

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    My friend and I have made a pact this year:
    What "friend"?

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake
    Are you planning on giving your wife/SO anything this year and if so what?
    You should have written "spouse" instead of "wife" in order to be gender-neutral.

That said.... I'm about shopped out from X-mas so I'm glad I don't have go hunting down another gift so soon.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I also have a meeting
    But I always try to find something unique
    I rarely know what I am going to get Mrs Katt
    Last year I was in a fast food restraunt prior to going to a meeting and they had Star Wars watches.
    So I got her a Princess Leia watch because she is a "Princess"
    She has good watches including a solar watch that I got her when they first came out. But her "Princess" watch was a symbol and she does wear it when we are just kicking aroung on weekends
    Yes I agree it is a marketing ploy and I also have seen the valantine cards but have also seen swimming suits (It is seven degrees here ) and in talking to my sister where I grew up she told me that it is 23 degrees below zero (not windchill but a true 23 degrees below zero) Now I remember why I left and they have swimming suits on display there also.
    Naturally winter coats are on the close out racks for a good price

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner View post
    Me too. Should make for yet another fun day!

Are there enough roses in New Hampshire for you to attend that meeting?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Why oh why do you have to bring this up RJ? Are you trying to make all the single cyburbians miserable?

And don't get me started on the Valentine's Day is just another comercialized celebration....

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    Are there enough roses in New Hampshire for you to attend that meeting?
    You have been married too long. She is getting a box of Goode's chocolate that she won't have share with the kids. She dropped a rather obvious hint a christmas that even thick headed me was able to get.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Sep 2001
    what's with the meetings?

I have meetings on the 13th, 14th and 15th - plus all day computer training on the 15th and 16th. I don't even usually work on Fridays but the opportunity fior training doesn't come up very often.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Why?

What "friend"?

You should have written "spouse" instead of "wife" in order to be gender-neutral.

That said.... I'm about shopped out from X-mas so I'm glad I don't have go hunting down another gift so soon.
    Off-topic:
    That vibration being recorded at the USGS out in Menlo Park is me beating my head against the ground.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I told the wife that if I need a Hallmark to be romantic then we have bigger problems than Valentines Day...thank god she bought it.

Mrs. Brocktoon will not be out to visit until the weekend so I will be doing nothing just like every other Wednesday.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2006

What's Pink and Red all over?

What is Valentine's Day?

Ooooooh you mean it's the thing that causes a Pink and Red epidemic all over the place once a year from Dec through Feb?

Luckily, I give Mr. Magnetica loads of reasons to give me gifts all year so no V-day stress for him!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Ahhh!

Valentines day in Green Bay!

I will be hosting the "Thirsty Poets" for this valantines day! It will be the Broken Hearts and Loneley Bastards II production. The Thirsty Poets are a group of street poets who do thier thing on the street corner during good weather and get heckled by drunks walking past in our entertainment district. When that happens they also manage to heckle the drunks.

It is NOT for the tweed wearing, pipe smoking, and angst ridden poet. It will be interesting, if nothing else to listen to the giant celt do a fine set of rantings to make you wonder if we let a madman perform!

I don't know if it is romantic but it will be interesting entertainment for "Torture the Single People Night"!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Well this is the first V day in 5 or so years that i dont have a partner, and will get squat.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Mrs. Tranplanner and I are another pair in the "Valentine's Day=Hallmark Conspiracy" camp. But we usually go out to dinner somewhere nice around that date.

Registered
    Feb 2004

Nothing says ‘I love you’ quite as well as an anthropomorphic rodent with a leg caught in a trap, and soon to die.

As far as being a ‘Hallmark holiday’, Valentine’s Day does not belong in the same camp as ‘Sweetest Day’. St. Valentine was martyred in the third century AD and was one of the most popular saint’s days 1,000 years ago. The greeting card companies, chocolate makers, and florists of the world are no doubt leveraging the holiday into a retail bonanza for themselves the best they can and in this respect probably makes the holiday more akin to Christmas – legit origins but quickly becoming a gross charicature of itself.

Allow me to be blatantly un- PC, V-day is far from my favorite holiday. I generally try to steer clear of expressing mushy sentiments at predictable times as best I can throughout the entire year, but this is one of the few days on the calendar it’s so completely expected that not performing the required rituals would have more unpleasant results than the drudgery of handing over a card, flower, and box of chocolates (I mean it’s not painful, it’s simply a wooden gesture because it’s performed on February 14th).

The bottom line: I guess I despise ritual unless it is accompanied by some genuinely felt sentiment….AT THAT TIME. And why should genuine feeling emerge just because it’s a particular day on the calendar?
    Last edited by Maister; 26 Jan 2007 at 10:06 AM.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Will be skipping my State & Local Finance class and be going to NYC for a nice dinner with new SO. No exchange of hokey gifts or cards, just enjoyment of fine company.

The best V-Day gift I ever got was from my ex and it was a bare root miniature pink rose bush along with a big ceramic pot in which to plant it in. Had to leave it when I moved from the west coast but my best friend now owns it and it still blooms profusely every year and she loves it.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2002
    We will most likely exchange some hokey cards and have dinner together at home. I don't think we have ever bought each other gifts for Valentine's Day.

Honestly, I think the whole idea of giving gifts for every major and minor holiday, anniversary, etc. is plain ridiculous. Fortunately, my husband agrees.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by natski View post
    Well this is the first V day in 5 or so years that i dont have a partner, and will get squat.
    Awwww... I feel bad, now! Maybe all of us should chip in and send Nat one of those mini Whitman samplers or something.

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Nothing says ‘I love you’ quite as well as an anthropomorphic rodent with a leg caught in a trap, and soon to die.
    That's hilarious! But, look at the teeth on that sucker! I think he chews off the leg and lives...

On topic: Nothing. No way... Nothing kills romance like a "romantic" holiday.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    we hardly ever really celebrate it - when we first got married, we used to try to go out to dinner and getting into a restaurant anywhere in downtown Boston or its suburbs that night is nuts - so after 2 years of that, we used to go to the movies instead and bring in take out from the restaurant with the 2 hour waiting line - at the time, we thought we were very cool and romantic too - but alas, after kids, this stopped

now, we get a card and that's it, and I ferret out a funny one usually, or at least artsy - and honestly, it's really okay - I'm so focused on making sure my kids have their right number of cards to bring to school, which is another thread completely!

Registered
    Aug 2005
    i'm here, BF is in mississippi so v-day will be spent pretty much like any other night. i got him a card and expect he'll do the same.

he's big into the "i-don't-believe-in-holidays-where-one-feels-forced-to-buy-another-something". so needless to say i won't be receiving any boxes of chocolates or flowers.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Mar 2006
    My birthday is a week after V-Day, so it would be silly for hubby to get me a present for both occassions, so close together. We usually just get each other a card (maybe I'll have my daughter make him a card, from both of us, this year) and go out to eat on a night other than the 14th. We live far from family and have no baby-sitter, and it wouldn't be fair to subject a bunch of couples to our sometimes rowdy toddler, when they probably paid a babysitter so they could be free of that for an evening.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    How many of us will be going down to Chicago to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the beginning of the end of alcohol prohibition here in the USofA?

I didn't think so (neither am I)....

Mike

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The 2007 College Basketball Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 61
    Last post: 08 Apr 2008, 1:49 PM
  2. 2007 College Football Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 272