Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Budding Consultant

Registered
    May 2002

Budding Consultant

I'm wondering how you'd go about setting yourself up as a planning consultant without necessarily leaving your day job? I have the technical capability to set up a home office (which my zoning allows!) and I have the time to take on a couple municipalities.

How do you all suggest I market myself?

Should I set up a private business for myself as a planning consultant?

Thanks for the great advice I know I'll get!
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Aug 2002
    What is your day job? Any potential ethical conflicts with your current employer?

Contact your county clerk's office and find out how to apply for a DBA.

Any other licenses or permits that you might need? That's a standard question when you're setting up your own business.

Actually, it wouldn't hurt to check out the website for your local Small Business Development Center or SBA office to see what other regulations apply in your area. (I can't think of any, but I don't know anything about your state or your municipality.) They are also a good resource for information about setting up a business plan. You'll want to look at those resources so you can make decisions about things like your target market, the types of services you will offer and how you will market your services. Even if you are doing consulting "on the side," those issues are still important, in my opinion.

Good luck.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    buy a domain and a web hosting server, create your own website which shows the types of work you do, advertise on google. I do some urban design/landscape architecture illustration using Sketchup 5.0 for some clients out of state.

For website design, my recommended software is Macromedia Flash 8 Professional and Macromedia Flashpaper 2(I like just a touch of animation strategically placed, can make all the difference in the world). Granted, I had to buy the software and teach these programs myself (but hey, I also taught myself ESRI GIS, Non-ESRI GIS and AutoCAD). I am young and my greatest asset right now ofter older competitors is time (that and I earned a full time job in consulting that is making my portfolio burst at the seams).

Registered
    May 2002
    Interesting issue about the ethical issue. Acutally, I've gone over this with my boss, and the only communities that I could not work for would be the ones within my county of employment. Fortunately, I live in a different county, and he's already confirmed that working there would present no conflict of interest.

Good idea about the business plan and the website. Seems to be that I either need to think about this 100% or not at all.
    The cookies are worth the drive

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Budding Planner from Western NY
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 04 Sep 2012, 11:02 PM
  2. When a consultant goes bad
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 11 Mar 2011, 3:16 PM
  3. Going consultant