Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Calling on Australian planners to help...

Registered
    Feb 2002

Calling on Australian planners to help...

Hi there all

I am taking a giant leap forward in my career and life, and have started the process of applying for my Work Visum for Australia. I am still on the right side of 30, have worked in both the private and public sector for 10 years and looking forward to further my career. My main aim is to settle in Melbourne since it seems like a wonderful city to live in and the prospects of relocating to a world city (even though they have some transport problems) is very appealing to me and my wife.

Are there any Oz planners who would be able to give me some advice perhaps on what I can expect over there? Next year this time I'm visiting for a holiday and would like to arrange some work interviews if possible. I know we will be able to adjust and the transition won't be too bad if we know what to expect.

Is the planning profession in OZ in a healthy state? I graduated Cum Laude and first in my class from the University of Pretoria, South Africa. As I understand it my Degree would be accepted in Oz, but I would probably have to write an acceptance exam or the exam enabling me to practise over there.

Please could anyone help me. What do you think? Am I making a mistake or not?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by spatium View post
    Hi there all

I am taking a giant leap forward in my career and life, and have started the process of applying for my Work Visum for Australia. I am still on the right side of 30, have worked in both the private and public sector for 10 years and looking forward to further my career. My main aim is to settle in Melbourne since it seems like a wonderful city to live in and the prospects of relocating to a world city (even though they have some transport problems) is very appealing to me and my wife.

Are there any Oz planners who would be able to give me some advice perhaps on what I can expect over there? Next year this time I'm visiting for a holiday and would like to arrange some work interviews if possible. I know we will be able to adjust and the transition won't be too bad if we know what to expect.

Is the planning profession in OZ in a healthy state? I graduated Cum Laude and first in my class from the University of Pretoria, South Africa. As I understand it my Degree would be accepted in Oz, but I would probably have to write an acceptance exam or the exam enabling me to practise over there.

Please could anyone help me. What do you think? Am I making a mistake or not?
    Ok i am from Sydney, so i am not very sure of planning in Melbourne and cant really give you details on this as planning legislation is different in every state/territory of Australia.

What can you expect? Im not sure how to answer this- depends where you are and what type of planning you want to do.

Australia has a shortage of planners at the present- if you can show you understand the system and have a good knowledge of planning, i cant see how you would find getting a job a problem. As far as im aware there are no restrictions on practising- perhaps just obtaining membership from the planning institute of Australia?

Not sure what else i can say really!
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Feb 2002

migrating planner

thanks for replying natski, I will pursue my career in the development control side of planning, although I have a strong incline towards urban design, my roots are however in the design and implementation of policy enforcement and guidelines development. I would have to shape up on my Aus Planning laws, but like you mentioned every city has their own planning scheme, which is understandable. There is also a new exam Aus planners have to take to practise I hear?

PS everyone....I'm signing my contract today to start the process to apply for a Visum ! Wish me luck

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Just saw an add in the Guardian (UK) from an Ozzie frim looking to hire planners in Australian with relocation costs, 4 year visa etc etc.

I tried to convince Mr. Bluehour but he wasn't interested...

I would apply directly to Firms and check the Guardian job listings before paying someone for Visa assistance.

I am sure you'll be able to find a job as apparently the industry is booming and there is a lack of professionals.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Every state in Australia has a different planning system, different local Councils will have different policies, plans etc. but operate under the same legislation as other councils in that state.

There are no specific requirements for practicing as a town planner in any Australian state, membership of the Planning Institute of Australia might help although is definitely not essential. If you have a degree in town planning you should be fine.

As far as I am aware there is a shortage of planners in most parts of Australia. You will need to learn how the planning system works where you intend to work though!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Thanks Ohne. Its good news for a change

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006

working in melb

spatium...

are you still in South Africa? I'm actually working in the Victorian planning system in Oz...i'd be able to help you out with what you're interested in.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 Feb 2013, 7:49 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 05 Jun 2008, 7:51 PM
  3. U.S. planner going Australian?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 24 Jul 2007, 7:29 AM
  4. Australian Suburbs
    Introduce Yourself