Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning graphics: a picture is worth 1000 words

Registered
    Jan 2006

Planning graphics: a picture is worth 1000 words

I have found that a picture can indeed be worth a 1000 words, but am always looking to improve the way we visually tell the story of planning.

Please post pictures / graphics you have used in your plans to help tell the story, or whatever....

First Standard Graphic:

The Area Development Plan Charrette Process

I have used many different versions of this, but have found that the hand drawn version works best and tends to give the reader the impression of "plannery" and design....

Comments / examples of your own?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'm only new to the world of planning, but I've notice a lot of "sketchy" style graphics in reports, policy documents, etc.

I like the look, but I notice that handwriting doesn't reproduce well when the original documents become PDFs... Often I've had to track down an original copy rather than an online PDF version in order to read the tiny writing in a drawing.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    In theory as long as all the info is there, it shouldn't matter. But there's a fine line between "plannery" and "slapped together at the last minute as a placeholder for a proper graphic, then never fixed"

Agreed on the handwriting (those "a"s in the graphic are on the edge already), and a more normal text will help those with vision problems or limited English proficiency.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Its interesting - now that preparing professional looking graphics in Word is so easy the cool thing is sketchy diagrams that look like an architect worked on them. The text in the posted diagram might be a bit too sketchy and hard to read in my opinion.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I like the look, but I notice that handwriting doesn't reproduce well when the original documents become PDFs..

Its all in the resolution....that graphic reproduces perfectly in 11x17

Registered
    Jan 2007
    I think it would be handy if planners picked up architectural lettering. It does not leave much to the imagination and looks really cool when someone has mastered it.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DoDPlanner View post
    I like the look, but I notice that handwriting doesn't reproduce well when the original documents become PDFs..

Its all in the resolution....that graphic reproduces perfectly in 11x17
    I'm sure it does, but also make sure your complete plan PDFs to an emailable size (~5MB max). And the run it through a copier until it is a 5th generation copy or so, or worse yet a fax machine. Really, this stuff will reduce the calls you get later.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    That is one thing that I wish more ordinances had. Indisputable graphic representation of the intent of the code would be nice. It is one of the best parts of form based codes... less words, more pictures.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 May 2013, 6:06 PM
  2. Urban Planning Now: worth it or rip-off?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 05 Jul 2010, 12:27 PM
  3. Describe planning in just six words
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 18 Feb 2010, 6:38 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 01 Feb 2009, 7:37 PM
  5. Replies: 5
    Last post: 27 Oct 2001, 1:19 AM