Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Signs for subleases?

Registered
    Jan 2006

Signs for subleases?

We are starting to get requests to allow signs for subleased space in multi-tenanted commercial buildings. Our Zoning Ordinance allows only one sign per tenant space in a multi-tenanted building. How's everyone else regulating these circumstances?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2006
    Where I work currently, our sign regulations are focused more on the physical/visual attributes of signage. We control the number of signs on the property, the total square footage, the location, the height/width, and size of sign face. It is not based at all on how many different tenants are located on a particular property or in a building. We seem to have very few complaints.
    You could consider kicking around the idea of updating your sign regulations. To me, basing the number of allowed signs on number of tenants on a property is pretty open-ended. What happens if someone has sixty tenants in a building? Are you going to allow sixty signs?

Registered
    Jan 2006

Response

Quote Originally posted by OregonPlanner View post
    Where I work currently, our sign regulations are focused more on the physical/visual attributes of signage. We control the number of signs on the property, the total square footage, the location, the height/width, and size of sign face. It is not based at all on how many different tenants are located on a particular property or in a building. We seem to have very few complaints.
    You could consider kicking around the idea of updating your sign regulations. To me, basing the number of allowed signs on number of tenants on a property is pretty open-ended. What happens if someone has sixty tenants in a building? Are you going to allow sixty signs?
    We have other limitations, such as no more than 10% of the front facade and 40% of the area upon which the sign is applied, etc. But yes, it is scary, 60 signs could be placed provided they all had the required exterior store frontage.

The trend here is for the leaseholder of one tenant space to sublease to a sublessee. These sublessee's are starting to want exterior signage as well. While our ordinance allows only one sign per tenant space, we are in a quandry. In some situations a second sign may be appropriate, other times it may not be. Do you have any experience with this situation?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    We don't regulate signs mounted on the inside of windows, therefore as a proponent of the "path of least planning resistance" I would recomend a window sign.

But I have never come across a sublease sign issue here.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Signs / billboards LED signs
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 20 Oct 2011, 11:08 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 23 Aug 2004, 11:16 AM
  3. Signs / billboards LED Signs
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 27 Jan 2003, 3:13 PM
  4. Signs / billboards Signs, signs, everywhere signs...
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 27 Sep 2002, 10:07 AM
  5. Signs / billboards signs
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 27 Jun 2002, 3:02 PM