Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning agencies where firings are common

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Planning agencies where firings are common

I had a friend that worked for one planning agency where it seemed like more than half the people that left were fired from their positions; they weren't just leaving for other jobs on their own. I knew a lot of people at that agency, and when we caught up on the goings-on there, he'd tell me about who left, and who got fired the past few months. The number of people getting fired outnumbered the people who left on their own. Eventually he was fired himself!

Is this common? Are there planning agencies where it seems like firings are more the norm than the exception?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm....

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    I had a friend that worked for one planning agency where it seemed like more than half the people that left were fired from their positions; they weren't just leaving for other jobs on their own. I knew a lot of people at that agency, and when we caught up on the goings-on there, he'd tell me about who left, and who got fired the past few months. The number of people getting fired outnumbered the people who left on their own. Eventually he was fired himself!

Is this common? Are there planning agencies where it seems like firings are more the norm than the exception?
    Seems like a good start at a "No Go" list for Planners It certainly would cut down on the devlopment of Stan's in an organization wouldn't it..... This would not surprise me at ALL, considering the trend for City Managers to be more like Donald Trump these days.....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Perhaps the agency is looking for a bunch of Stans.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Back when Jim McGreevy was governor, before he became a gay American, one of his first moves as governor was to kick out over half of the State Office of Planning since most of the workers were appointed by Christie Whitman and others were hired by those appointees. I would think at any level of government where political turnover party to party was possible there is a good chance of clearing house. Heard a story this week that a local planning firm who was the township planner for unnamed township was not rehired at the 11th hour because of a political shake up. And they say planning shouldn't be political.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    At that one agency, it wasn't really political, though, except maybe for the planning director. It was a very large planning agency, with a staff of about 40. The firings were gradual; it wasn't a massive house clearing.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 25
    Last post: 22 Nov 2013, 3:37 PM
  2. Hiring practices of regional planning agencies
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 21 Jul 2011, 9:02 AM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 16 Aug 2009, 11:22 PM
  4. Planning recruiters, employment agencies, etc..?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 14 Oct 2008, 10:48 PM
  5. How common is common sense?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 20 Jan 2007, 2:49 PM