Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Los Angeles downtown

Los Angeles downtown

I searched the forum, but didn't find anything about this so I figured I'd make a thread. Los Angeles is currently in the process of starting a complete make-over of it's downtown, complete with huge commercial areas, as well as residential areas that will have new schools and the like. It's all very exciting, but there's also the homeless population(around 6,000 strong I've read) as well as the fact that there are many working class people living in the area who might not be able to make use of the high-ened commercial. Also, if property values shoot up in the area then that could possibly hurt them in the property tax area.

(I was going to link to a couple of articles that had some good info, but I don't have the required post number.)

Registered
    Dec 2006
    The majority of the development is taking place on the west end of downtown and is not displacing a large populus, though it is displacing. The homeless faction has become a major deal and they are talking about developing a area along with housing for them that should, though being a realist no soulution is absolute, address that problem.

I work with the advance planning division of recreation and parks and the open/space park issue is a big one and we are currently looking at alternative solutions, such as roof top parks and so forth.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2006
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines
    If you're interested, here are a couple of interesting articles relating to downtown la that were printed in today's LA Times.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Having visited downtown LA a couple of times and lookign at Google earth, I see no inherent reason it should not be successful. If one could 'reamke' the ae it would be much nicer if they had denser centers in the middle of each district and parkland/nature beween them.

^When you say the Western part is to be redevelopedt, do you mean west of S. Pedro Street? going towards the Staples Center / Convention area?

The shoutehr part of the 'circle' within Highways 10, 5 and US 110 and 101 seems to be warehosuign/industrial....Also, tehre is an awful lot of 'surface parking' in 'downtown' LA. There seems to be a reisdnetial area south of E. Washignton Bvd that shoudl benefit from a more vibrant downtown. What kidn of area is it?
    Life and death of great pattern languages

Registered
    Jan 2007

hello craines

Craines,
    I am heading to Los Angeles in late March (2007) to study the influence of WiFi on some local public spaces. Considering your position with LA parks, I would love to have the chance to share a word or two. Would you let me know if you're willing, perhaps via email?
    Many thanks,
    Fiona.

ps - Dan, I'm new on board; I apologize if this isn't the right venue for flagging down other members...

Registered
    Dec 2006
    The area you mentioned,around the Staples Center, is the area I was refering to.

Most of the area where the development is occuring is a mixture of light industial, low income housing (both single family and multifamily.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I believe the Feb. 19th edition of the LA Weekly dedicated half of their issue to development in Downtown. I was in LA for an ULI retail conference and picked up a copy. I can't determine if you can look at features on their website.

I didn't make it to the Staples Center area, but there seemed to be a fair amount of development happening all around the Downtown. From Mozaic near Union Station to the new developments near Little Tokyo, it was interesting to see.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hi from Los Angeles
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 26 Nov 2012, 10:26 PM
  2. Greetings from Los Angeles
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Jun 2011, 9:20 AM
  3. Hi from Los Angeles, CA
    Introduce Yourself