Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Second interviews

Second interviews

What's you experiences with second interviews? It's for the private sector.

What is generally the purpose? Are they talking numbers? Are they reacting to a red flag raised from references? Are they looking at more specific questions regarding skills and experience?

Any help would be appreciated.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Plan Man View post

What is generally the purpose? Are they talking numbers? Are they reacting to a red flag raised from references? Are they looking at more specific questions regarding skills and experience?

My second interview was focused more on the specific job they were looking at me to do (there were 2 choices), and how my skill set/experience fit in. Then we moved into a more defined salary range (based on the job chosen) and what would be expected of me. It was a chance to flesh out my questions, and to hear where the company was thinking I would fit it.

Generally speaking, it's a good sign that they like you, but you still may have a couple of competitors for the job. Have some specific questions about the position and/or the company, and be prepared to discuss more specifics about your skills/experience.

Good luck!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    It usually means you have been short-listed or are their top candidate but they want to make sure - or they want to offer you the job in person and negotiate salary and benefits

if there is a red flag in references, you typically would not be called back so I wouldn't take a pessimistic viepoint -

good luck!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Plan Man View post

You're not going to be showing up in my office anytime soon are you?

Second interview could either be because of short-listing, or it could be further vetting (e.g. introducing you to the big boss or additional staff). Generally, they would probably not be asking you additional questions regarding skills and experience - it should be more of an informal deal.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Hmm.....

Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    You're not going to be showing up in my office anytime soon are you?

Second interview could either be because of short-listing, or it could be further vetting (e.g. introducing you to the big boss or additional staff). Generally, they would probably not be asking you additional questions regarding skills and experience - it should be more of an informal deal.
    Or an excuse to make you an offer face to face....to see your expression when they tell you what they expect and the salary.....time to betray your entire soul.....he he he...... At least that was what my second interview was for....that and meeting the President of the Company....
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Aug 2001
    While they may ask a few questions about planning, most of the questions I've dealt with in 2nd interviews are more 'fit' questions. Like how you would introduce yourself to your peers in the community, how you would deal with specific interpersonal situations, etc.

(Oh yeah, but I've never worked for the dark side... this was on the public side of things).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In our firm, the first interview is with the division manager and division higher-ups. Usually a lunch, unless its a long distance issue, where phone will suffice. Our short list is derived this way.

Once a position is authorized to be filled or created, the short listers are asked to meet with the HR Director, division manager and division higher-ups, COO, marketing director (sometimes), VP, and Owner / President. This is a much more involved meeting than the first. (I was very intimidated at first when I went through it). This one is as much about qualifications as it is about "fit" in our firm's unique entrepenuerial culture.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    From my days in the corporate world the first interview was used to weed out people as well as identify people we liked. The second interview was usually a panel type interview which was much more about a candidate fitting into the organization as well as allowing the candidate to showcase his strengths as it applied to the particular opening as well as ask questions. We typically liked candidates that could market themselves without being egotistical about it and also ones that asked questions about how we worked, what our expectations were, etc.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2006
    It varies, but both times I've had a second interview I got the job. The first time, they talked numbers and offered me the job at the second interview. The second time I met the big boss, saw my potential workspace and was introduced to the co-workers. I know in that case there were two of us who got the second interview, and it was ultimately up to the big boss who they offered the job to.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Trouble getting interviews
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 14 Jul 2007, 11:26 AM
  2. Phone interviews pro and con
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 May 2007, 3:52 PM
  3. Phone interviews