Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Economic development tools to encourage affordable housing?

Registered
    Jan 2007

sundanceplanner

Good morning:
    Any advice regarding economic development ideas to support affordable housing?

Moderator note:
    (nerudite)This question was raised in another thread and seemed off-topic. Therefore, the question is being used as a start for a new thread.

Registered
    Jan 2007
    OK thanks

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Interesting question. Could you clarify what you mean by "affordable housing"? Are you referring to tax credit developments, or to project-based Section 8 housing, or something else?

I'm not sure that economic development centered around promoting affordable housing need be any different from that of equivalent market-rate housing. In fact, a lot of affordable housing is indistinguishable from its market-rate counterpart, especially in communities in which inclusionary zoning laws mandate that developers set aside a certain portion of units in a new development as affordable.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2006
    Well my introduction to urban planning professor had a real good idea, however we all know this would be impossible to do because of our nations capitalism. My profesor mentioned that no one restricts the government from getting into the market and suggested that the government should build uniquely designed houses, not the section 8 types, and sell them or rent them at affordable prices therefore the competion will be forced to lower there prices. I thought it was a pretty radical idea, but it has credibility and logic to it.

Quote Originally posted by Laredo Urbanist View post
    Well my introduction to urban planning professor had a real good idea, however we all know this would be impossible to do because of our nations capitalism. My profesor mentioned that no one restricts the government from getting into the market and suggested that the government should build uniquely designed houses, not the section 8 types, and sell them or rent them at affordable prices therefore the competion will be forced to lower there prices. I thought it was a pretty radical idea, but it has credibility and logic to it.
    I think you only create more problems rather than solve them when you get the government involved in creating housing. But that's just my opinion.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    A little OT…This concept has been done. In a manner of speaking. In St. Peter MN, an affordable housing development happened through the city and the school district. The schools had extra property and wanted more students. The City wanted more affordable homes. The schools gamble was that younger families would move into affordable homes. This benefits the school with increased enrollment, and benefits the city through increased tax base. The school wanted to do this quickly, but couldn’t find a developer willing to do affordable homes. Its here where the city stepped in to fill the developer roll. The city acted as general contractor, and got many homes up quickly. They’re all visually appealing, the streets are laid out well, and most, if not all homes have alley access, like the rest of the community. There’s even two sections of apartments available. I wish I could provide more info. Go to http://www.gmhf.com/ to find out more info.
    You're more boring than you know.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 26 Apr 2011, 4:34 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 26 Sep 2010, 8:01 AM
  3. Zoning bylaws that encourage affordable housing
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 11 Jan 2007, 12:12 PM
  4. Tools of economic development