Thread: America the paranoid

Registered
    Dec 2003

America the paranoid

Be afraid. Be very afraid

This really takes the cake.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16921137/?GT1=9033

Two held on bond over Boston scare
    Officials seek restitution for publicity campaign that sparked terrorism fears

Officials found 38 blinking electronic signs promoting the Cartoon Network TV show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" on bridges and other high-profile spots across the city Wednesday, prompting the closing of a highway and the deployment of bomb squads. The surreal series is about a talking milkshake, a box of fries and a meatball. The network is a division of Turner Broadcasting Systems Inc.
    This is too much. I have to stop laughing now.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    What? The Terrorists have now infiltrated The Cartoon Network?

Oh...the horror! They will surely destroy our way of life in no time now!

I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

I bet there was a permit issued for 'em and there's a public works staffer that is nearing the untimely end of his/her career.
    Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration.
    Abraham Lincoln

Registered
    Aug 2001

not funny, but then I dont "get" most tv. wy watch if your brain is turned off?

Yesterday I heard that first it was within the cartoon where a character warned of a bombing in Boston. TBS apologized for that, but it appears to me that bomb line in the script may have been a lead in for the planting of the posters across those cities including Boston.

jOkes aside, TBS should have never gone there...

YMMV of course
    what is the purpose within
    if not to reach the cluBBe
    herein it remains contained
    let the journey of the words begin

The scary part of this from a traffic and logistics standpoint is that two fake pipe bombs were found as well, although not part of the Cartoon Network guerrilla marketing campaign.One was placed up in an overpass area right outside of Tufts New England Medical Center near the T station, and the other in a spot on the Longfellow Bridge. The device at TNEMC was placed by a disgruntled ex-employee.

I am a little miffed that the two guys who got arrested will probably have the book thrown at them when in fact that were not the masterminds. They're being arraigned on an array of charges whereas the pipe bomb guy wasn't even arrested. Who committed the greater crime here?

And those of you who are familiar with the infrastructure of Boston know that there is no room for error. A road closure such as the near the Sullivan Square area cripples the entire city. Nothing moved for hours.

We all know that the suits in the PR company hired to do this will get off scot-free. The Mayor's just pissy because he hated to be overlooked...

**Oh, in the effort of full disclosure, I love Adult Swim and have watched ATHF on occasion. It's hilarious.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Jeez.....anyways it looks like that 70's gizmo LiteBrite that I used to play with.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I agree with Beans and Cod - the decision makers should pay as well as the ones who placed them there - and yeah, after living there a long time, that musta' been outrageous - if it involved the T as well as surface roads, forget about going home -
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    The media is really trying to convince the public that these guys should be heavily penalized. The "devices" (aka bombs in terror-speak) were "planted" (instead of displayed/attached) in a "hoax" (harmless imitiation meant to fool).

I see it as advertisements were installed for a marketing campaign. Paranoid individuals mistook these signs as bombs. And dogs look like cats and everyone is out to get us.

This isn't the first time a guerilla campaign has caused a public stir. What are we ever going to do if U2 decides to put on a show from a rooftop again?
    They will surely destroy our way of life in no time now!
    Hey Cartoon Network has convinced me that a show featuring a wad of meat, a milkshake, and a large fry is entertainment. My way of life is compeltely destroyed har har!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Yep, paranoia is getting worse. Why do you thing home security systems is such a big industry? Fear... we must live in fear of something. Me personally, I fear Rumpy's revenge.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    What's the saying ? ? ?

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean that someone's not out to get you.

Or something like that.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    The charges the two are facing:

1. Placing a hoax device in a way that results in panic.
    2. Disorderly conduct.

Doing something that causes other people to panic is now a crime. So now we're all individually responsible for the reactions of complete strangers who may be total morons.

Yee-haw.

[disclaimer: I'm not necessarily stating that someone shouldn't be charged with something over this whole fiasco]
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Danger Will Robbins...

Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post

Doing something that causes other people to panic is now a crime. So now we're all individually responsible for the reactions of complete strangers who may be total morons.
    wow- that's like, my whole Planning Board agenda next week - as they say in the movie The Jungle Book, take me home, Daddy!
    Kim Wexler: Either you fit the jacket... or the jacket fits you.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    The charges the two are facing:

2. Disorderly conduct.
    Littering or illegal dumping should be added to the charges, as they had no permits or permission to leave these things on public property.

They should have been booked on one of these charges irrespective of the grossly exaggerrated police reaction yesterday. Commercial advertising is not exempt from littering regulations.

Questions: How many of you live or work in a city large enough to be a actual terrorist target? How many of you are crammed on a train with thousands of strangers underground every day? I can tell you that after 9-11, Madrid and London I was pretty paranoid riding the subway in Boston every day.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Hmmm.... I take it you weren't one of the people who rushed out to top off your gas tank when the local news media reported we were going to be out of gas around 2pm the day after Katrina. That panic was surreal...

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by AubieTurtle View post
    Hmmm.... I take it you weren't one of the people who rushed out to top off your gas tank when the local news media reported we were going to be out of gas around 2pm the day after Katrina. That panic was surreal...
    That was surreal. I'd fueled up a couple of days before, and I had a 7 mile commute at the time, so I was able to laugh at all of the sheep at the pumps, and waiting in line at the pumps, and backed up for a quarter mile on Powers Ferry trying to get to the pumps...

Quote Originally posted by jmello
    Questions: How many of you live or work in a city large enough to be a actual terrorist target? How many of you are crammed on a train with thousands of strangers underground every day? I can tell you that after 9-11, Madrid and London I was pretty paranoid riding the subway in Boston every day.
    I'm in metro Atlanta - frequently downtown for business. I grew up during the 70s near an air base that was (potentially) a high priority target in the event of a Soviet nuclear strike, so I was surrounded by that type of paranoia from an early age. And speaking of surreal, I had to go to the federal courthouse in downtown Atlanta the day after the Oklahoma City bombing...when they were scrambling to close all the streets that gave direct access to the building and towing any vehicle that parked on the street within a two block radius...I counted 14 tow-trucks lined up and waiting. Unreal.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Don't forget that Boston also has tremendous collective guilt and regret due to the fact that the 9-11 flights originated from Boston's Logan Airport.

Well, yesterday's arraignment scene was a zoo. The two defendants were laughing and joking both going to and coming out of Charlestown District Court. They sidled up the the bank of microphones and proceeded to treat the affair for what it was - an absurdity. The local press went nuts. Typical Boston.

I will link a blog here; hopefully it's not verboten to do so...

http://iamscotto.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Those two defendants were hilarious, going into a discussion of '70's haristyles. I envy them, not being burdened with taking life so seriously. Being a fan of Adbusters, I can appreciate this, even if it isn't trying to subvert the culture. The locations they picked to locate these signs were in clear view and would have made lousy bomb locations. If the intention is to do some real damage to a structure, the obvious locations are deeper inside, closer to key structural or utility components.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What's Right With America?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 31 May 2010, 9:54 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 13 Apr 2010, 1:30 PM
  3. Sex in America
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 14 Mar 2008, 11:07 PM