Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Any fans of stompy music out there?

Registered
    Nov 2006

Any fans of stompy music out there?

Just wondering if anyone who is planning on attending APA Philly also happens to like industrial music. I want to check out a club on Saturday night 4/14 and wouldn't mind a buddy/buddies.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    He He,

Finally there is a third member of the Rivet-Head family of musics on the board.

Send a PM to "Transit Slug". He is a staple in the Philladelphia scene and would be willing, more than likely to show up and act as a native guide. In fact, he is resident in the scene from NY, NY to philly.

Also, if you ever get up toward Green Bay, check out 29 Steps in the downtown. They always have some industrial music on tap!
    Last edited by Maister; 01 Feb 2007 at 9:29 AM. Reason: posts merged
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Aug 2001

stomp on!

I'd check it out, for the scene and the people, but I'd have to use my industrial earplugs

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Where do all of the labels (Genres) to describe music come from? How relavant and descriptive are they? I find the proliferation of genre names pigeonholing for the sake of creating a overly selective subculture. I guess it's schick to reduce yourself and your art to the smallest common demoninator.

Will someone please explain this to me? I asked this question of a brief acquaintance about a year ago..... At what point did music and lifestyle merge some completely to where it is hard to differentiate the two... does lifestyle create music or music create lifestyle? This transition takes hold during adolescence, which clouds the metamorposis in a sticky pool of hormones and body secretions.

DON"T GET ME STARTED....
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I would expect jeff might be able to suggest a place or 2.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Which club are you thinking of going to? I haven't been clubbing in Philly in a long time I wonder if the clubs I used to go to are still around 8 years later. There's usually high turnover in that business.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by budgie
    Where do all of the labels (Genres) to describe music come from? How relevant and descriptive are they? I find the proliferation of genre names pigeonholing for the sake of creating an overly selective subculture. I guess it's chic to reduce yourself and your art to the smallest common denominator. [snip] At what point did music and lifestyle merge so completely to where it is hard to differentiate the two... does lifestyle create music or music create lifestyle
    Lots of music labels are coined by music reviewers. The recording companies are quick to co-opt any new terms that come along because they help create ‘new markets’ to target. The young people (and sometimes even not so young) who like to listen to the music see images of the artists in either print, video or other media and like good lemmings emulate the styles of dress, language, or any number of other cultural effects, thereby creating and perpetuating the ‘subcultures’ surrounding/associated with various artistic forms. Other artists watching the success of the originators quickly decide they want on board that gravy train and a procession of wannabe groups (of greater and lesser degrees of talent) quickly lines up. This collaborative process actually plays out in many other ways in industrialized societies.

How relevant or descriptive are most labels? I think most would agree not very. They do, however, provide some sort of referent which can be used to discuss music generally. Take the term ‘metal’. Remember the ‘young metalhead thread’? It’s possible some might have seriously questioned to themselves others’ notions of what passed for ‘metal’, but almost everyone would agree there are certain elements which typify the sound commonly referred to by that term (e.g. guitar distortion, shouted vocals, lots of bar chords, drum-bass-multipleguitars instrumentation, etc.) which would give listener at least some idea of what a group sounded like. It wouldn’t do, after all, to have folks buying Barry Manilow albums expecting them to sound like Rainbow.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

(for now) Frozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    When I first read the thread title, I thought "stompy" was another term for bluegrass or folk music.

Those fiddlers tend to stomp alot to keep time.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Tunes

These go WAY back. Think jazz, ragtime, Dixieland, swing, hillbilly, rock n roll, rockabilly etc
    WALSTIB

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    When I first read the thread title, I thought "stompy" was another term for bluegrass or folk music.

Those fiddlers tend to stomp alot to keep time.
    yes, I did too - I was picturing a contra dance or clogging

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie View post
    Where do all of the labels (Genres) to describe music come from? How relavant and descriptive are they? I find the proliferation of genre names pigeonholing for the sake of creating a overly selective subculture. I guess it's schick to reduce yourself and your art to the smallest common demoninator.

Will someone please explain this to me? I asked this question of a brief acquaintance about a year ago..... At what point did music and lifestyle merge some completely to where it is hard to differentiate the two... does lifestyle create music or music create lifestyle? This transition takes hold during adolescence, which clouds the metamorposis in a sticky pool of hormones and body secretions.

DON"T GET ME STARTED....
    Whew! I hope you don't approach all of your social invitiations with such trepidation! I figured I'd better specify industrial lest someone hope to spend an evening in a country western or jazz club, lol. To each their own but that's just not my preference.

As for labels, generally, I don't believe in them, but when trying to identify a cohort with similar interests, ya do what you've gotta do. Hey, at least I didn't say EBM, hellektro, futurepop, techno body music, aggrotech, or any of the other countless "identifiers" which only complicate things. Some people believe that there are very distinct differences between each of these, but I'd rather just spend my time listening (and dancing).

And as for the where, I was considering Flux at the Trocadero Theatre or Shadowland at Ulana's.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by rosierivets View post
    Whew! I hope you don't approach all of your social invitiations with such trepidation!
    I don't. I'm comfortable in most crowds and I like to think I have a very eclectic taste in music, although I could spend every waking hour of my day listening to music and never hear the same thing twice. I'm kinda a Pantera, Bill Monroe, ICE-T kinda, Mr. Bungle, Skinny Puppy kinda guy.

I just pose the question.... does lifestyle create music or music create lifestyle?

Wait !!!! Wasn't stomp that band of maxheadroom smurfs.

NO, NO !!!! note to self.... they were the folks that walked about on stage with trash cans laced to their feet...
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by rosierivets View post
    ....I figured I'd better specify industrial lest someone hope to spend an evening in a country western or jazz club, lol.

....Hey, at least I didn't say EBM, hellektro, futurepop, techno body music, aggrotech, or any of the other countless "identifiers" which only complicate things....

And as for the where, I was considering Flux at the Trocadero Theatre or Shadowland at Ulana's.

He He, don't get nervous about budgies cranky aspect to music. I guarantee you he knows how to ROCK AND DRINK! The Man is a PROFESSIONAL!

As far as categorizing, a DJ familiar with the scene really could tell you the difference. It is how we pick out the ups and downs of the mood we want to affect people with. Most people dance for a few minutes then go drink and or socialize. So we try to rotate the mood or type of sub genre with different niches of music within the sub-genre.

Goth is now a catch all phrase for stylistic leanings and means almost nothing in reality. Industrial is the overarching theme for the sub genre's that continue to change and live. Music that does not change stylistically is dead.

Seriously, check out what Transit Slug is doing at that time. He will drive 4 hours one way to party hardy, then drive back (Safely I will add) 4 hours. He is a PROFESSIONAL and familiar with the scene. Knows most of the DJ's and staff at those nights also (Usually means the party lasts longer! )

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia View post
    He He, don't get nervous about budgies cranky aspect to music.
    You imply that I'm being defensive.... I'm not being defensive... You're the one being defensive...

Registered
    Jul 2003
    You imply that I'm being defensive.... I'm not being defensive... You're the one being defensive...

AHhhhh.........yeah!

Cranky Cranky Cranky!

You still working on your dream project?

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia View post
    AHhhhh.........yeah!

Cranky Cranky Cranky!

You still working on your dream project?
    off-topic

I've got your number. I'll call when I get my thoughts together. I have the plan lined out, it's just going to take sometime and the current building owner is aware of my intentions. I will have some specific things to run by you.

Registered
    Aug 2001

I just pose the question.... does lifestyle create music or music create lifestyle?

from life springs music, music orchestrates mood, passions rise to life and lifestyle becomes entwined in the music.

end result of an afternoon spent with martha graham layered with federico fellini.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Hmmm, VNV Nation is going to be playing the Trocadero on Friday 4/13. Any takers?

Registered
    Sep 1999
    If I was a fan of that music I would have expected RJ to put a bullet in my head way before now.

On the other hand, he listens to stuff that gives me the migraine from hell.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    yes, I did too - I was picturing a contra dance or clogging
    Riverdancing

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    If I was a fan of that music I would have expected RJ to put a bullet in my head way before now.

On the other hand, he listens to stuff that gives me the migraine from hell.
    Off-topic:
    I'll put on some Radiohead and turn off the volume on the TV while we're watching the Super Bowl on Sunday....or not.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    my friends watch tv that way! Music up LOUD, he's got these sound units, i darenot call them speakers... and its the Bears den right now. Super bowl sunday on the projection, live concerts playing...

But what are they cooking? turkey bad omen...

Rosie I have to pass, not gonna be in philly, I do think you should post on a bb when you get to the conference!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Welcome Hockey Fans
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 26 Sep 2005, 7:17 PM
  2. For All Red Socks Fans-
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 29 Oct 2004, 11:44 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Aug 2004, 1:46 PM