Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Antiques in light industrial

Antiques in light industrial

Does anyone allow antique retail sales in light industrial zoning? Thanks! John

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    We would classify this under Retail which is allowed as use-by-right in the Industrial zone... so YES!

BUT, why would an antique shop owner choose such a location? No antiques district in your town?

BTW, welcome.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Aug 2001

bring the truck and tie downs!

for furniture, warehouses work out better rather than moving stuff into a storefront. Most any serious furniture dealer is in a large cavernous space.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Most of my client communties would allow it provided the site had suitable parking for the size of the building. Industrial parking requirements are different than retail parking requirements.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I've seen it in outdated Euclidean codes -- "uses permitted in this district include everything permitted in all the preceding districts, plus ...' -- but I don't think it's a good idea. It's a retail use that should bolster a retail area. If it's in an industrial area, that's one more vacant area you're going to have in a retail district. The volume and type of traffic for a retail use may conflict with that of an industrial use; retail can be more of a nuisance on industrial uses than vice versa. A location in an out-of-the-way, less visible industrial district is a self-imposed hardship, should the owner ask for variances.

Maybe you should post a link to the applicable sections of your zoning regs. We can't make a formal interpretation, not being planners working for your community, but we can help.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Dan brings up a good point. Retail (whether it is allowed or not) could bring more parking than what would normally be seen. I have not seen this with our "retail in an industrial zone" examples, but my dad, being an owner of an office/warehouse development south of Denver saw a nightmare when he allowed a thrift store to rent a unit. The code in his town allowed for "uses outlined in preceding zone districts..." to be allowed, but this posed a large parking and access problem where his site was undesigned for it.

HOWEVER, if someone comes to counter asking about a by-right use and whether it can occupy an certain location... who am I to tell them "Yes that is legal in this location, but we want you over here"? (and point to a high-rent retail/antique district on a map)
    Just playing Devil's Advocate.. I guess...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

BANNED
    Registered
    Feb 2007
    I would have a hard time defending the position that a retail use 'should' bolster a retail area. Since the retailers have more of themselves invested in the success of the outlet than anyone, and bear the consequences of the choice of location, they are in the best position to evaluate all the criteria for the best spot for their stores. I think this is a good example of how zoning can have perverse consequences. Well meaning folks attempt to dictate to others, for the perceived good of all, and implement regulation that is inflexible and expensive and difficult to amend. If there are retailers who wish to go into certain areas, this is a signal sent to local government that perhaps the existing retail area no longer meets the needs of the community.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Antique retailing is not what it used to be. For many of the most successful stores, it means selling a bulk of their product over Ebay. For them, a "wharehouse" location might be more successful. Others have gravitated to industrial areas near the interstate highway due to visibility and comparatively cheap space.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Antique retailing is not what it used to be. For many of the most successful stores, it means selling a bulk of their product over Ebay. For them, a "wharehouse" location might be more successful. Others have gravitated to industrial areas near the interstate highway due to visibility and comparatively cheap space.
    So then it's not really "retail" anymore and more wholesale and warehousing, which should work fine for a typical light industrial district.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    jen's right. the practical aspect of the business is that is requires large warehouse spaces to display the goods. Those types of uses may also have a negative impact on the design/flavor/sclae of retail areas.

And traffic is not an typically not an ssue for antiques stores.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 02 Apr 2009, 1:14 AM
  2. Employment per sq ft - light industrial & distribution
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 23 Sep 2008, 9:03 PM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 09 Dec 2003, 11:19 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 05 Oct 2002, 10:01 AM