Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: National Conference Attire

Registered
    Nov 2006

National Conference Attire

Can I get by with jeans and a nice top at the Conference or do I need to spiff it up a bit? I am not in the market for a new job so I won't be interviewing but I don't want to look like a slob or stick out, either.

These are the things I lose sleep over.

Thanks!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by rosierivets View post
    Can I get by with jeans and a nice top at the Conference or do I need to spiff it up a bit? I am not in the market for a new job so I won't be interviewing but I don't want to look like a slob or stick out, either.

These are the things I lose sleep over.

Thanks!
    I would say that jeans are acceptable. I think I went in a t-shirt one day last year. Wearing jeans would not make you stick out in the crowd, IMO.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Jan 2006
    You will see everything at the conference as far as attire goes. Jeans and sneakers are the norm for me unless I am presenting, then maybe I'll wear a tie.

I always wondered about the dudes in the suits at APA National. . .

Registered
    Dec 1998
    My first 3 or 4 conferences, I used to be decked out in strictly business attire; however, I was in the job market, so I figured that I needed to look the part. Even though I haven't been to one in a few years, I would now downgrade my attire to business casual.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I've always gone "business casual." Usually golf shirts and khakis....jeans a few times, and shorts at the warm weather conference sites.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I plan on wearing business casual clothes. Just not into wearing a skirt, pantyhose, and heels for hours on end being miserable. Who's planning the laefest btw?
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Has anyone ever been hired as a direct result of the planning conference?

I am also interested in the laefest!
    "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription...is more cowbell!" - Bruce Dickinson

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Jeans, t-shirt and this. (Ditch the APA badge.) It will carry more clout and grant you admission into the Alefest.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 14 May 2007 at 10:04 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Jeans, t-shirt and this. (Ditch the APA badge.) It will carry more clout and grant you admission into the Alefest.
    Oh how sweet it is RJ! How sweet it is!

Should I wear my combat boots?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by rosierivets View post
    ....Should I wear my combat boots?
    Naw, four or five inch pumps look good with tight jeans. And go commando, too.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    It all depends on what your intentions are, if you have a part in a presentation, or if your expected to 'represent' your city.

Personally, I will go business casual. Khakis and a polo shirt. If your presenting, suit and tie. If it's a walking tour day, something a bit lighter.

Always bring an umbrella. (Yes, there is a story about that one... I wonder where that girl is today...)
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Jeans. Shorts. A push-up bra. It's all good.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Maybe a friend and I will take some of you to the right stores for some special attire.

When I first started going to the national conf. I always looked just like the people that I didn't want to look like. Now its for comfort. So wear whatever make you feel good.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by TOFB View post
    I always wondered about the dudes in the suits at APA National.
    Same thing here. I always suspected they were the hardcore planner's planners; those that are actively involved in the APA on a state or national level. That, or large agency planning directors that need to look the part.

Otherwise, business casual. Very nice jeans might be do-able. Jeans are the norm for eccentric bearded planners who started off in the late 1960s, and for wise, somewhat rough-around-the-edges, seen-it-all planners from rural areas. At night, outside of the opening reception, jeans are no problem.

I haven't been to a conference in several years. Are pin collectors still common? One conference attendee I know well used to wear a leather vest with the entire country mapped out in APA chapter pins.

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post

I haven't been to a conference in several years. Are pin collectors still common? One conference attendee I know well used to wear a leather vest with the entire country mapped out in APA chapter pins.
    I haven't seen any pin guys in years . . .

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I am going casual...except for the meetings and presenting. Just do the nyc thing and wear black.. then you are dressed to go anywhere.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Never been to the national APA conference. I have been to my state chapter's annual conference several times, and everyone dresses in business attire. I usually man our firm's exhibit booth so I wear nothing less than a suit.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

he was missing Arizona as I recall...

Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    OMG - I saw that guy when I worked the sales booth at the 1998 Boston Conference!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Khakis + Blue Oxford = The Planner Uniform

Seems simple enough to me.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    So we've heard about national conference attire. What about state level stuff? I'm going to my first State Conference next week and am kind of in a lurch as to what to wear. I really don't want to wear a tie if I don't have to, you know? Or maybe I shouldn't really worry about it too much. It is WI after all...
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I didn't think you went to any sessions, so why worry about what you wear?
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 27
    Last post: 14 May 2012, 1:12 PM
  2. APA National Conference - GET REAL
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 30 Dec 2011, 2:59 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 10 Feb 2009, 5:13 PM
  4. Replies: 0