Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Sign review work flow

Registered
    Nov 2006

Sign review work flow

Does this seem dumb...

The town I work for doesn't appear to have a requirement that signage information is to be submitted with site plans for large scale projects. What ends up happening is the applicant will submit signage info with their building permit application once they have council approval but then it gets reviewed by someone outside of the planning process, our building inspector. Because the sign code is a function of the zoning ordinance I feel as though I should be reviewing signs as planner, although don't get me wrong, I've got plenty of work on my plate. It seems that the other reviewer is a lot more um, flexible in her interpretations of the code so I'd like to try to regain some of the review functions in order to try to get a better end product.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by rosierivets View post
    Does this seem dumb...

The town I work for doesn't appear to have a requirement that signage information is to be submitted with site plans for large scale projects. What ends up happening is the applicant will submit signage info with their building permit application once they have council approval but then it gets reviewed by someone outside of the planning process, our building inspector. Because the sign code is a function of the zoning ordinance I feel as though I should be reviewing signs as planner, although don't get me wrong, I've got plenty of work on my plate. It seems that the other reviewer is a lot more um, flexible in her interpretations of the code so I'd like to try to regain some of the review functions in order to try to get a better end product.
    It seems as though your regulations only call for Building Official review revolving around size. Having yourself review them won't necessarily give you any more authority to make them look better. You might want to amend the regs to allow for Commission review of signage for large commercial developments with certain standards. Even without doing that it may still be within the Commission's authority to make certain stipulations regarding signage, especially if they are reviewing architectural elevations.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 16
    Last post: 30 Aug 2012, 9:54 PM
  2. Geek Love Flow Chart
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Mar 2008, 3:23 PM
  3. Maximum traffic flow
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 28 Nov 2006, 1:20 PM