Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dual degree, city planning/civil engineering?

Registered
    Oct 2005

Dual degree, city planning/civil engineering?

I am currently a city planning master's student (specializing in Transportation Planning) at Georgia Tech, but I'm thinking of pursuing a dual degree in Civil Engineering. The dilemma is that of course it will take an extra year to pursue this. Funding is likely available, so financially it's just a decision of another year of graduate school.

I enjoy the engineering courses, but my undergraduate degree is in Finance. This makes it impossible for me to practice as a P.E. at any point in the future.

For any transportation planners out there (or those who may be able to speak to this), what are the benefits to this civil engineering master's degree?

I am interested mainly in transit planning and improving transit service. Also, I'm interested in Transit Oriented Development.

In most circles, the Masters in Civil is not as important as a Master's in Planning. Masters in Civil opens few other doors than a bachelors in Civil. Being a Civil P.E. and checking the job openings frequently, there are few jobs that require a Master's in Civil. In contrast, a master's in Planning opens quite a few doors employment-wise for you. Usually just an undergrad BSCE with a P.E. opens most doors in the engineering field.
    Another thing to keep in mind is to check to make sure that your engineering program is ABET accredited, this makes sitting for the FE exam and PE exam 5 years later easy (and possible in some cases) - otherwise, some states won't let you sit for the exams unless you went to an accredited school.
    If you want to go into academia, that is a whole other story - then I'd say go for your Master's in Civil, but if you want to actually apply the Civil engineering, a Bachelors will suffice. I don't know if this helps...
    Who's gonna re-invent the wheel today?

Registered
    Feb 2007
    If you are planning to leave college somrday, what ssnyderjr said. My short time in private sector showed me that even the CE Partners did not have advanced degrees.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    do you need a Bachelor's to earn the P.E. or is it just experience/passing the test?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    If I were to start over I'd seriously consider a dual degree option.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Jul 2012, 4:09 PM
  2. Civil engineering and planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Mar 2012, 10:06 AM
  3. Master's in civil engineering vs. planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 07 Mar 2011, 11:20 AM