Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Asbury Park, NJ - revisited

Registered
    Mar 2008
    As for the post dated 2-9-07 (stating that there are no vacancies on Cookman.) Things have certainly changed in one short year. Currently, high rents have forced many businesses out and there are now a lot of vacancies on Cookman. The problem is there is too little parking and not enough foot traffic to demand such high rents, (see the recent issue of TriCity News which adresses this issue.)

Registered
    Mar 2009
    [QUOTE=Teddysea;381622]
    Quote Originally posted by jresta View post
    This building wasn't "half-built" it was half falling down. It dates from Asbury's golden year, the 20s through the late 50's

That building was the Albion Hotel. In fact, it was built sometime around 1941, using steel from the 1939 World's Fair (French Pavillion). At that time, it was considered an Art Deco building. The building may look like its falling down but in fact its entire frame is/was solid steel. I renovated that building in 1981-82 and was making progress but then in 1983 the City decided as part of its "redevelopment" the building had to be converted to residential but the remainder of the property--parking lot and swimming pool lot--would be taken by the City for the use of the redeveloper. An impossible task for me. I then decided to try to get approval to build on my site the same thing that was to be built by the redevloper and submitted plans for a new building with about 60 condos. Even though the block plan was for about 200 some condos and I owned about 2/3's of the block, the planning board turned down my application stating I didn't have enough land to meet the required land/building ratio for 60 units. They also stated they wanted the redeveloper to do all the building. It was pretty much the "you have to own BOTH Park Place and Boardwalk" in order to build. Unfortunately, the city owned Boardwalk. There is much more to this story but that's the short version.

Also, although I believe the developer made many mistakes, the failure of that redeveloper was entirely caused by the City of Asbury Park.

Hi Teddysea,

I recall this building was a nightclub in the early to mid-80's. It would be interesting to know exactly what happened after that. I am sorry to see that it has been demolished. Would you know the entire story? Thanks.

Registered
    Dec 2012

Asbury Park Railroad

I am doing some research on Asbury Park railroad history and I was wondering if you have any information on this subject. Specifically I am looking for information on the train stations and there's one particular one i really want to know more about its the one that was across street from the post office on main street and i believe it was torn down in 1987. I have what is believe to be the architects name it is Kenneth Towner. What I want to know is if you have any photos, newspaper articles of being torn down, any photos of being torn down, any written history what the station was called because i know asbury had many different station's i'll take any information you can give me and if you don't anything and you know someone that might that would be a big help i am also including the only photo i have of that station its a old postcard I have it as my facebook profile image heres the address http://www.facebook.com/HistoricRailroadStructures

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Greetings from Asbury Park (NJ)
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 19 May 2011, 11:32 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 17 Mar 2009, 10:42 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 May 2007, 10:40 AM
  4. Redevelopment of Asbury Park, NJ