Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Civil engineering master's degree?

Registered
    Oct 2005

Civil engineering master's degree?

I am currently a city planning master's student (specializing in Transportation Planning) at Georgia Tech, but I'm thinking of pursuing a dual degree in Civil Engineering. The dilemma is that of course it will take an extra year to pursue this. Funding is likely available, so financially it's just a decision of another year of graduate school.

I enjoy the engineering courses, but my undergraduate degree is in Finance. This makes it impossible for me to practice as a P.E. at any point in the future.

For any transportation planners out there (or those who may be able to speak to this), what are the benefits to this civil engineering master's degree? Is it worth the investment of another year in grad school? Most job postings out there say that it's planning OR engineering master's degrees that are required.

I am interested mainly in transit planning and improving transit service. Also, I'm interested in Transit Oriented Development.

Registered
    Dec 2005

Pe -

You can obtain your PE with 12 years of technical experience in Engineering regardless of your undergrad - hell you only need a highschool degree. I do not reccommend this route. I posted on a different thread additional info.

Personally, as someone with a Master of Engineering (Transportation Planning), I think the dual degree will not get you far. Technical real world experience is the most valuable asset once you have a single Master's.

Frankly, I think the Master's is bogus too. I went back to school a few years after receiving my Bachelor's and found myself "informing" professors. Often they were stuck in academia with no real-world experince.

THAT said, engineering firms are truly impressed by lots of degrees.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jkellerfsu View post
    You can obtain your PE with 12 years of technical experience in Engineering regardless of your undergrad - hell you only need a highschool degree.
    That is not true in most states. For example in Florida, there is no 'length of experience' that will allow you to sit for the PE. In fact they are selective about what undergrads in civil engineering from what state or country will even be considered. I am not sure what state you are refering to.... but it would not be the case in most.

Also jwagner15, there are other posts in this section about this topic...
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Dec 2005

True

You are right I can not speak for any place outside of Maryland.

Registered
    Oct 2005

thanks

I appreciate the input. I would like to make as informed a decision as I can since academia like you said is sometimes out of touch.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jwagner15 View post
    I am interested mainly in transit planning and improving transit service. Also, I'm interested in Transit Oriented Development.
    Are you interested in planning or design?

Planning involves soliciting community input, negotiating between stakeholders, balancing political agendas, finding funding, planning transit routes, etc.

Design is the actual design and engineering of the buildings, tracks, etc.

If you are more interested in the former, a planning degree would suit you best. If the latter piques your interest, go for the engineering degree. You can work in design or as an engineering tech without a P.E.

How are you drawing/CAD skills?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Flying Monkeys View post
    That is not true in most states. For example in Florida, there is no 'length of experience' that will allow you to sit for the PE. In fact they are selective about what undergrads in civil engineering from what state or country will even be considered. I am not sure what state you are refering to....

FL is by far the exception to any licensure rules....how many PEs retire to FL and hang a sign?? This is the only reason FL is tought to get licensed in, b/c there are so many PEs.

Are there any other states that dont let you sit for the FE w/o a CE degree? I dont think so. Hell, in TX up until about a year ago I dont even think you had to test, you just got the license after X years experience.

Question: Can you get into the Master of CE program with an undergrad in Finance? and MSCE is not like other MS programs where your undergrad can be completely unrelated. There are alot of undergrad courses that you would need which you probably didnt take in finance...The Calcs, Diff EQ, Statics, Dynamics, Thermo, etc.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post
    Question: Can you get into the Master of CE program with an undergrad in Finance? and MSCE is not like other MS programs where your undergrad can be completely unrelated. There are alot of undergrad courses that you would need which you probably didnt take in finance...The Calcs, Diff EQ, Statics, Dynamics, Thermo, etc.
    I had to do a lot of smooth talking to get into the Master's Program w/o my BSCE. My undergrad had most of the required classes and I was given admission on a provisional basis for the first 9 credits.

My guess is one would have to have a LOT of engineering work experience to be accepted with an undergrad in finance.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 20 Jul 2012, 4:09 PM
  2. Civil engineering and planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Mar 2012, 10:06 AM
  3. Master's in civil engineering vs. planning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 07 Mar 2011, 11:20 AM
  4. Second degree in civil engineering?
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 08 Feb 2011, 9:11 PM
  5. Dual degree, city planning/civil engineering?
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 Feb 2007, 8:55 AM