Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Civil Engineering --> JD/MURP

Registered
    Feb 2007

Civil Engineering --> JD/MURP

Hello!

I just stumbled upon these forums and they seem like a great resource! I am starting to think about what I want to do after I graduate and would like some insight into career possibilities with the JD/MURP combo. Just as some background information...I am a civil engineering major in a top ranked civil program and am doing okay but what I've found is that hardcore engineering isn't really what I want to do with my life. I have two more semesters of coursework left and so my intention is to complete this degree and then move onto something more interesting. I am currently taking two urban planning graduate courses and interned this past summer at a planning and civil engineering firm in their planning department. I have a 3.3 grade point average, active member in a few organizations having to do with women in engineering, leadership position in my sorority, held a transportation engineering research position, etc etc.

I think I would like to do something with real estate development, possibly working with a large developer but I'm not really sure. The joint JD/MURP programs seem enticing because it would give me so many options but is it going to make me really that much more marketable? My college advisor(who is an engineering advisor) keeps telling me that if I go for the JD/MURP program after my bachelors in civil engineering(and minors in history and math) I'm going to appear to employers like I'm very well educated but that I have no direction. I don't necessarily agree with this because I see that civil engineering, urban planning(or for some of the programs, real estate development specifically), and law(with a focus on real estate) all go together very nicely... What types of jobs could I expect? Has anyone done a similar track?

As you can probably tell, I don't have a well defined job in mind. I know of a general field that I have interest in and am trying to aim my education towards that direction. I'm really just starting to look into different programs and have lots of reading and searching on the forums to do.

... also, I've seen various posters refer to three year JD/MURP programs but have only found one. What schools are these located at?

Thanks !

... and if I put this in the wrong forum, sorry. I wasn't really sure where it should go.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Thank you for the information but I was actually wondering about 3 year programs. I have a whole list of dual 4 year programs but I've only found one 3 year program. In numerous posts on here I see mention of 3 year programs but never the names of the schools. Any ideas?

I'm thinking that some type of real estate development masters would be more beneficial than simply a MURP.

Anyone know of programs similar to USC's Master of Real Estate Development/Juris Doctor... " The Juris Doctor/Master of Real Estate Development dual degree program provides the opportunity for in-depth study of legal issues and real estate development. The increasingly regulatory environment developers work within demands that professionals in the real estate industry have a strong understanding of the legal system. Lawyers who plan to specialize in real estate law will benefit from a thorough understanding of the development process, including financial, planning, marketing and design issues. "

Thanks again.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    university of michigan has one. i think that boston univ and rutgers may too.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by supergeek1313 View post
    university of michigan has one. i think that boston univ and rutgers may too.
    Thanks! I didn't know that Rutgers was less than the 4 years.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    "I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every single minute of it!"

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by jread View post
    Thanks! I will look into it...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Civil engineering and planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 0