Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Performance based zoning

Registered
    Feb 2007

Performance based zoning

This is my first post....

Does anyone use perfomance or form-based zoning? I'm doing some work in an area considering the adoption of the infamous SmartCode. Everything I read raves about these types of codes, but I'm having trouble thinking its going to work in this particular environment. Its rural/suburban, hands off government, several dirty industries, no planning staff at the county or city levels. Where can I find an honest critique of these codes? They seem more complicated, for one. And I'd imagine require more staff - staff with specialized training. And politicians who won't overturn the decisions of the Planning Commission.

Registered
    Jan 2007
    I'll be surprised if there any objective evaluations. Those are the "IN THING" now and the words "NEW URBANISM", "FORM BASED" and "PERFORMANCE" are much abused. They are both very idealic and not reality based. No city/county has ever been built on any kind of "trancept" basis. To my knowledge no new city is being proposed based on form based codes. They are at best philosophical rationalizations for large developer oriented additions/renewal projects in existing larger cities.

As a semi-retired Architect/Town Planner, I've been on the local LDOC code re-write committee for over 2 yrs now and we're nowhere near completion of a final draft. We started with one of the top Nationaly known Form Based consultant groups under the blind faith the this was the way to go. After 9 months, we asked the consultants to complete their work & submit their final bill. PAID IN FULL!

This is a 260 year old city of 25,000 (stagnant growth for 75 years now faceing explosive regional growth nearby).

The committee meets every week for 2 hours +. I estimate another year. There is a growing committee dis-satification with the very precepts of "Form Based" when applying it to the realities of what's here on the ground. The final draft will be nowhere near the "Form Based" code paid for.

This region is historically very "Land Owners Rights" oriented and consequently known for it's poor planning. The local County started a 2 year Land Use study and in 3 months there were shouting groups at the third public meeting. In 6 months the consultants were fired for useing the terms "New Urbanis", "Form Based",etc.

That all resulted in public attitudes that will take 10+ years to heal. BEWARE!

I have found other threads regarding "Form Based" here in Cyburbia. They've helped me maintain a level ship. Search the threads.

I also suggest: Get copies of standard idealized Form Based codes from google.
    The best critics of those codes are ones who have to use them daily! Contact the cities listed in the back of any model code.

To me, there is really nothing new.....just new slogans! Look the problem square in the eye and use the tools you need to build a better future!
    GeeBee333

Registered
    Mar 2007

Limited Performance Based Zoning

We here in the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo are investigating the idea of some limited performance based zoning, in a new district which we are looking at as a "gateway" to the former town of Fort McMurray. Dependining upon the circumstance and the amount of commercial or residential, a developer can increase the building height or obtain an increased density.

We are facing the same situation, but it has been on-going for many years. This was once a community of 35,000 but has experienced explosive growth due in part to the Athabasca Oil Sands. We are well on our way to doubling our current population of about 70,000 in the next 5-7 years.

Quote Originally posted by gb333 View post
    I'll be surprised if there any objective evaluations. Those are the "IN THING" now and the words "NEW URBANISM", "FORM BASED" and "PERFORMANCE" are much abused. They are both very idealic and not reality based. No city/county has ever been built on any kind of "trancept" basis. To my knowledge no new city is being proposed based on form based codes. They are at best philosophical rationalizations for large developer oriented additions/renewal projects in existing larger cities.

As a semi-retired Architect/Town Planner, I've been on the local LDOC code re-write committee for over 2 yrs now and we're nowhere near completion of a final draft. We started with one of the top Nationaly known Form Based consultant groups under the blind faith the this was the way to go. After 9 months, we asked the consultants to complete their work & submit their final bill. PAID IN FULL!

This is a 260 year old city of 25,000 (stagnant growth for 75 years now faceing explosive regional growth nearby).

The committee meets every week for 2 hours +. I estimate another year. There is a growing committee dis-satification with the very precepts of "Form Based" when applying it to the realities of what's here on the ground. The final draft will be nowhere near the "Form Based" code paid for.

This region is historically very "Land Owners Rights" oriented and consequently known for it's poor planning. The local County started a 2 year Land Use study and in 3 months there were shouting groups at the third public meeting. In 6 months the consultants were fired for useing the terms "New Urbanis", "Form Based",etc.

That all resulted in public attitudes that will take 10+ years to heal. BEWARE!

I have found other threads regarding "Form Based" here in Cyburbia. They've helped me maintain a level ship. Search the threads.

I also suggest: Get copies of standard idealized Form Based codes from google.
    The best critics of those codes are ones who have to use them daily! Contact the cities listed in the back of any model code.

To me, there is really nothing new.....just new slogans! Look the problem square in the eye and use the tools you need to build a better future!
    GeeBee333

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    FWIW, I added a performance zoning article to PlanningWiki:
    http://planningwiki.cyburbia.org/Performance_zoning

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 15 Apr 2012, 11:17 PM
  2. Performance based zoning
    Land Use and Zoning