Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Home for lunch?

Registered
    Aug 1997

Home for lunch?

For the first time in a long time, my workplace is close enough to home that I can go home for lunch.

This is a new job, and I wasn't sure if I would want to go home for lunch, but I find that I have been.

So . . . . what does everyone else do?

Stay in the office?

Go home to eat lunch?

Go somewhere else?

Please share
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I usually walk the 4 blocks home and have lunch. Also during the hour, I go to the library or do a little shopping. For instance, today I bought 2 pairs of slacks, went through a newspaper and the library, let my dog out and warmed up lunch in about 75 minutes... I was on foot. Life is grand. This is real convenience.

I'd like to get where I just have to go downstairs to get a brew at the pub.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Generally stay at work and read/eat in the lunch room (I live 30 miles from work), and once a week I buy food at a local eatery (usually Chipotle recently).
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Probably go home for lunch (I live about 3.5 miles away) maybe 90% of the time and walk across the street to the Italian eatery the other 10%
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Addendum to previous comments ----

Usually I have at least 1 lunch meeting a week and I deliver meals on wheels once a week and I get a meal for my efforts.
    "And all this terrible change had come about because he had ceased to believe himself and had taken to believing others. " - Leo Tolstoy

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I head to the community center, get a light workout in. As a town employee, I get a free membership there! OH YA! Either run for 30 minutes or do some weight training. I get back to the office and scarf down some leftovers.

Occasionally, I'll treat myself to the library (which is right around the corner) or head to an Indian buffet for some good eats!
    "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription...is more cowbell!" - Bruce Dickinson

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Home is 10 minutes... I could go if I wanted, but then I'd have a beer and stay home. I know, I've seen me do it.

So, I either don't eat, go to a lunch meeting (five a month, min.), or order from the pace across the street. The other alternative is to sit here and eat sunflower seeds... like I've been doing all day.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Feb 2003
    When I used to live and work in the same town, I would go home for lunch. However, most of my jobs required me to either bring my own lunch or go out to eat because I would live so far away from work. I loved the economics of going home for lunch. Occassionally, I would take a nap too when I would go home.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Probably go home for lunch (I live about 3.5 miles away) maybe 90% of the time and walk across the street to the Italian eatery the other 10%
    Do you take mski with you or do you have a policy on not feeding the animals?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I live 30 minutes from my house, so I stay at work. I used to eat at my desk and surf, but now that hubby is here I tend to either go and have lunch in one of the open areas in the building, or we'll head to a local eatery. Occasionally I get roped into a lunch meeting but I avoid them like the plague.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Usually eat at my desk.
    If I have a few minutes to spare, I will go and use the treadmill in the workout room for employees. Do not do that as often as I should.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I eat my lunch at my desk, then go for a walk (weather permitting) during my lunch hour. On Tuesday the lunchroom in the building has BLTs. I never miss those.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Home every day except Thursday. Thursday is Optimist Clube day.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    When I lived down the street from the office I went home for lunch. Now that home is 73 miles away, I bring lunch 70% of the time, and eat out (cheaply) 30%.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Live 40min from work- so eat lunch at my desk, now and then buy lunch.

I used to go to the gym during lunch time, but became lazy. now just play touch football one lunchtime a week, sit at the computer or run errands
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Former job (up to mid-january 2007) - I would generally eat at my desk 3 or 4 days a week (15 minute drive home with optimal traffic conditions, so it really wasn't worth the effort). My entire group would go out to lunch together on Fridays - all project or incident specific work-realted conversations were banned from the lunchtime discussion (although it was ok to gripe about pain-in-the-rear clients or co-workers in general terms). On nice spring and fall Fridays we would often walk the half-block over to the friendly neighborhood sports bar and sit out on the deck.

New job - eat at my desk most days (unless I'm in the field), but I find myself going out at least one day a week. There are roughly eleventy billion ethnic eateries near my office (Buford Highway corridor in Doraville and Chamblee, for those of you familiar with that part of Atlanta), so I have plenty of places to sample...
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Bring my lunch and eat in the student lounge at the planning school, go forage for food in the planning school since there are many lunch meetings and we get leftovers, or eat cheap at the middle eastern place or the pizza-sandwich place. For me to go home it would require an hour round-trip on the bus not including wait times so that isn't possible.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    Brown bag it. We might go out if we are out of town and there is some place different to eat.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Well when in classes, I can't since I usually have around 40 minutes to eat lunch, and just my commute to campus is 30 minutes... and when I have a longer lunch hour it's just not worth it either...

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I usually brown bag it at my desk. Rarely go to a restaurant, but used to go the Burger King across the street every day. Turns out that's bad for you.

A couple of times a month I go home for lunch if Mrs. Otis is slow getting her, um, self out the door in the morning. On those occassions I go home to pick her up and we eat lunch together at home.

There's a health food store a couple of blocks away so I often walk over there to get the makings for my brown bag lunch.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I run errands or walk. I'm lucky in that I work near a gigantic convention center and a huge office complex (the GM Death Star) so I can walk even on rainy or bitter cold days.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2004
    I used to be 45 minutes or more from home so I would eat at my desk and post on cyburbia or other such internet things. Now I work 5ish minutes from home so I have found myself coming home for lunch quite often. It's kind of nice - but would be better if I could just work through lunch and get off a bit early. That would be teh cool

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    3 out of the 5 days I go down to Main Street (an alley over from the office) and have lunch with someone down there, other days I go shopping or run errands and one day a week I usually end up working through lunch or going to the gym.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    I usually eat something cheap in town or take my lunch.
    We have a great tortilla factory a block away that'll sell big burritos for $2. Sometimes, I go the other way and get a $3 burrito.
    Either way I seem to be eating a lot of Mexican food.

Today in fact, I didn;t bring a lunch but my secretary had some leftover mexican that I was able to scavenge.

When I used to live in town, lunch was at my apartment and the English Premier League was usually on too.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006
    My home is also my office. Would that count?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. lunch? take 2
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 25 Apr 2012, 10:51 PM
  2. Required Lunch Break
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 10 Jun 2008, 11:56 PM
  3. When do you eat lunch?