Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: AICP exam for May 2007

Registered
    Feb 2007

AICP exam for May 2007

Hi,

I am writing AICP exam for this may 2007 for first time. Can any one give helpful hints in which books should I actually read and which JAPA aricles are useful? Is there any one appearing for this may exam window?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Haven -
    I'm sure you've already read other threads that indicate you can't really study for this test. You can memorize dates, people, places, etc. and get 10 or so questions correct, but the rest is very subjective. If you think like the AICP "test makers", you'll do just fine. I would read the Green Book from cover to cover. I'm still trying to get past this test. My Wife and I took it at the same time and she passed. Admittingly, she's generally much smarter than me, but we studied the same material and got two difference tests. Her test was PD&E based (for the most part), and mine was ethics. In the similar words of Forest Gump: "The AICP exam is like a box of chocolates. You never know what your gonna get."

Good luck.

Troy, APAICP (Almost Passed AICP)

Registered
    Oct 2005
    There are other threads on this issue from 2005 and 2006 which you can search for. Also I'm throwing this out there, if you want specific help feel free to Private Message me with any questions. I passed on my second try May 2006.\

Good Luck All!
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Apr 2007

May 2007 AICP exam

I am sitting for the exam in exactly 1 month (May 19th) and I am NERVOUS. I took the exam in 2002 and missed it by 4 points! I am studying differently this time. I registered for Planningprep and have been scorring between 75-91% on the practice exams, I read all of APAs suggested readings, I read and re-read through the Code of Ethics daily, I am working on memorizing legal cases, reading APA polciy guides, and basically going bonkers. I have two years to obtain membership for my newly acquired position of two months as a Planner. Anyone else out there preparing for the May 2007 exam? Maybe we can share ideas. Vets of the AICP exam..can you provide any words of guidance? All information and support would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by kceleste; 19 Apr 2007 at 11:29 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2007

May 2007 AICP exam

Hi All!

Well, the testing window has started. Can those of you that have taken the exam post your thoughts and even questions that you can remember from the exam? It would be greatly appreciated.

Signed

Trying to pass the AICP exam for the 2nd time!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006
    I passed with 58 score on May 7, 2007. I ran out of time for 3 last questions so I had to rush. No time for review at all.

Planetizen course was very helpful in preparation. The exam questions were little different than the exams in this course. Also, the exam questions were quite different than the ones I faced in my first try last November. About 10% of questions were on recent and current trends in planning. Telecommunications Act, Telecommuting, Land use regs under RLUIPA, planning for disabled people...etc. And there were many questions on definations of single words such as "threshold population", "turn-key" development etc..... But it was interesting to see what are the topics Planners are tested based on!! Good Luck!!

Registered
    Apr 2007
    Thanks Veggie!

Congrats Veggie, AICP!!!!!!

Veggie,

Is this your first or second time taking it? This will be my second on the 19th. Any last minute pointers?

Congrats Again!!!
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 12 May 2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: triple reply

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Congrats Veggie! When did you start your hardcore studying for the exam? I was scheduled to take the exam next Friday, but my workload has been so hectic (we're under-staffed) that I haven't had enough time to study and be prepared for the exam....so I transferred my registration to the November window

Exam advice

Havan-

I just took the exam today, and passed (score was 59, whatever that means)..

Anyway, I read the 'Green Bible', 'Everyday Ethics of the Practicng Planner', 'Redesigning Cities', and 'Land Use in a Nutshell'..

I'd say the Green Bible and Redesigning Cities were most helpful.. My exam seemed to be heavy on Smart Growth and design strategies.. Wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be, in fact, I finished with over an hour remaining.. MANY of the questions were very subjective!

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Congrats to all the new AICPers! Although, I'm sure you all know about the new certification maintanence requirements.

KCeleste, I passed on my first try in Nov. 05, and I think it really helped that I had memorized everything that was memorizable (dates, famous people, case law, etc). The few answers I tweeked out because of that memorization was probably what took me over the top. I barely passed. And for everything else, just try to think of what the most ethical answer would be, even if it doesn't seem very realistic or likely in your real-world experience.

Good luck.

Registered
    Apr 2007

AICP May 2007 Exam

Thanks CCH

I just finished the exam and failed. I scored a 53. I feel like I should not have studied since this is my 2nd attempt Well, I will take it again in November.

Registered
    May 2007
    I took the exam yesterday and passed with a score of 67. I studied for eight months, took the Planetizen prep course, and also attended a workshop by Michael Waiczis, National Planning Certification Exam Preparation Services, sponsored by the Maryland and Virginia APA chapters. As a part of the workshop he distributed a cd with a lot of information on it. His materials are excellent. One major piece of advice from him was to memorize everything you possibly could (do flash cards or record cds and listen to them whenever you can) - and you are almost guaranteed to pass - very good advice, it made all the difference. I used the materials from those two sources almost exclusively, in addition to using the internet extensively to learn more about topics I was unfamiliar with. Two co-workers took the test yesterday also, they used the same materials and preparation, and we shared things we learned. They both passed too - one with a 64, and I don't know the score for the other. It was the first time for all three of us. Although all that we did might have been a bit of overkill, in order to pass you really have to spend significant time studying everything you can about planning, past, present, and future.

I passed yesterday. It was my second attempt. I do have a question though. Why does it say on the top of the sheet from Prometric that the score is unofficial? I ask because I passed with a 55 and now I am worried that they can come back and say I actually didn't pass.

     
    Registered
    Dec 2004
    55 is fine! There won't be any change. Its too much trouble for them to justify a fail, unless there was a major computer error.

I passed with a 57. It was my second attempt and I was really worried that I won't pass. The % pass for people taking the test second time has is 33% compared to 60% for first time test takers.

I think one main tip from the forum that really helped me was "choosing the most ethical answers, versus the most practical ones." Memorizing everything that you can guarantees a pass! All and all I am happy its done!

Also, like Threegood mentioned, if you prepare sincerly by devoting some quality time, I don't think its such a bad test!
    Its not enough that you are familar with the terms, but knowing a little more planning related information about it is important . like I had a question on my test about "geothermal energy." It was something like, What has impeded the production of geothermal energy? a. cost of producing it? b. geothermal liquid discharges c. reduction in federal and state funding. d. location. And since I only knew what geothermal energy was an no additional information, I made a guess!
    Last edited by Sutra; 20 May 2007 at 11:06 PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2007
    What's the count? Pass, fail?

Anyone else becoming disillusioned with AICP and they're "club" mentality? I think the test sucked, and doesn't represent a "true" planning test. It had info on there that I could never have studied for, and had answers that are completely arbitrary. I'm begining to think that I don't need them. It's just a bunch of letters anyways. I'll save the yearly dues, and they'll save money since they won't have to send me "buy more books" mailings.

Is it just me, or have the test writers lost touch?

Moderator note:
    Threads merged. Please don't start new, low-content threads, when there are already very similar threads already started. Thanks!

~Gedunker

Quote Originally posted by azmodela View post
    Is it just me, or have the test writers lost touch?

Moderator note:
    Threads merged. Please don't start new, low-content threads, when there are already very similar threads already started. Thanks!

~Gedunker
    I didn't want them merged. Thanks for assuming that I did though. How do I unsubscribe? I'll move on to other forums that are less regulatory, I have enough of that at work....
    Last edited by NHPlanner; 21 May 2007 at 3:27 PM. Reason: triple reply

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Just got back. Passed with a 68 out of 75. It was much easier than I expected. However, only about 10-15 of the questions had anything to do with the stuff in the prep courses and study guide.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Just got back. Passed with a 68 out of 75. It was much easier than I expected. However, only about 10-15 of the questions had anything to do with the stuff in the prep courses and study guide.
    Congrats Mr. Mello, and Wow on that score I don't think I've ever seen anything over 60 let alone a 68!!! Too bad your score doesn't matter when it comes to employment or raises.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's unfortunate that we can't tack a surcharge on development applications. Before the total, something like: Plus 10% of the Total Application fee to cover RJ's APA/AICP membership and trips to state and national conferences. After all, look how much $$ we make these developers.... They couldn't do it without us. Why should the taxpayer foot the bill for my junke...err....continuing training and education.
    Just a thought.
    Habitual Offender

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ahhh.....hold on there chief.....

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    It's unfortunate that we can't tack a surcharge on development applications. Before the total, something like: Plus 10% of the Total Application fee to cover RJ's APA/AICP membership and trips to state and national conferences. After all, look how much $$ we make these developers.... They couldn't do it without us. Why should the taxpayer foot the bill for my junke...err....continuing training and education.
    Just a thought.
    We did EXACTLY THAT in the community I worked in while in Florida!! and yes, it was 10% added to the cost of land use applications and certain other applications! You might want to look into that.....PM me
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    May 2007

Does anyone know...

How many times you can retake the exam after failing it...? or do you have to pay each time...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    We did EXACTLY THAT in the community I worked in while in Florida!! and yes, it was 10% added to the cost of land use applications and certain other applications! You might want to look into that.....PM me
    Off-topic:
    Dude, that is brilliant!! I thought I was the only one that sat around at night thinking this stuff up. I'm bringing this up to the county manager today. Thanks for the link.
    Habitual Offender

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by fozzi19 View post
    How many times you can retake the exam after failing it...? or do you have to pay each time...
    If you passed the four point criteria (which obviously you did) that is good for three years before you have to do that again. But you still have to pay the (what is it now?) $300 for each test you take.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Uh $300? It's more like $450 now....I'm taking it in November. I can only afford to take it once (my agency will reimburse me for 1/2 of the fee, if I pass), so hopefully I'll get it on one try.

AICP exam failure.....again....

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but just took the exam again yesterday and got the same score. I studied much more this time around, but the study material does little good. I'm wondering if there is something else out there that really prepares you for this beast. By the way, this test is completely subjective. Some of the questions were worded so terribly I wonder if they even know what they are asking. Any help or pointers for the third time would be great. Thanks. I'm glad a forum like this exists.

May 2007 exam

I took the exam for the first time this past may and passed, but not by a lot. I have they same question someone else had. Can they change your score to be lower, if for some reason they have to throw out questions? And those just happen to be question I got right?

Also, how long does it generally take to receive the official results?

I thought the APA study materials were entirely misleading. It was almost impossible to study for this test. I guess it at least helped to memorize the stuff I could, so I got that right. But I don't think it is a very fair test at all.
    I almost think it would have been better if if were longer and broken into sections (with a short break between sections to use the bathroom). I didn't like how it is really so short they can only ask one or two questions on each topic and all the topics just run together.

Anyone else have any insights? I am just thrilled I passed because I don't want to do that ever again. I just hope they don't make my score lower now. I mean I studied every night since January.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 May 2015, 8:45 AM
  2. May 2009 - AICP exam
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 20 Jul 2009, 12:47 PM
  3. AICP exam in 11/07
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 23