Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Any Real Estate/Property Developers?? Advice needed on career in development ind.

Any Real Estate/Property Developers?? Advice needed on career in development ind.

Although I'm interested in planning, a career in development has crossed my mind. I realize that some of you may have switched to development from planning. I was wondering if anybody can pass along some advice about the daily grind, typical duties. Is it extremely financial, is there opportunity to be creative? Whats it all like, and are you enjoying being a developer in comparison to a planner? Pros/Cons?

Thanks
    Aqua

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I work in nonprofit real estate development. There is a daily grind, but the work is so multifaceted and interesting that it isn't so bad. My typical day runs from 9:30 to 6 or 10-6:30 (I prefer the latter). Lots of night meetings with community residents, at least 2 a week usually, sometimes more, and they can run as late as 8 or 9 at night. Weekend meetings do happen as well, usually on Saturdays and rarely on Sundays. Most organizations like this have flextime, so if you need to come in at 11 the next day because you were at the office until 9, then that is fine.

There are multiple skill sets required to do the work, and you wear many hats... planners can relate to this, I'm sure. Tasks that need to be completed include (in no particular order) construction management, finding potential properties acquire and develop, putting together funding packages to go out to the state dept. of housing and community development, working with an architect on design-development, tracking finances and creating project proformas, and much more.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I'm in a commercial real estate niche market serving the church and private school community. No problems with being bored. I still use all my planning knowledge and experience as well dealing with the financial end. Like MacheteJames, my schedule is very flexible and I do some nights and weekends. Unlike the residential market end of the business, weekend work is the exception rather than the rule.

TY.

I still need to talk to someone who is a commercial developer to get a feel for a typical day -- and to understand what type of duties are undertaken by junior staff and senior staff? Who gets to work on design? How much do developers influence design when working with architects?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 26
    Last post: 04 Jan 2011, 7:53 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 15 Oct 2009, 5:38 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Sep 2009, 6:05 AM