Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: No benefits offered? What does one do?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries

No benefits offered? What does one do?

I have always wondered what happens if you get offered a great job, but the firm offeres no benefits (as of yet).
    Is it worth it? How does one find good benefits?

Any experience?

I am asking on behalf of... a friend...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well....

I won't work without decent benefits because of the kids.....

Alternatives:

1. Use a spouses benefits
    2. Buy existing Cobra insurance options (very expensive$$)
    3. Remember to negotiate with an employer who doesn't offer benefits, because they are SAVING BIG $$ (Between $600 and $1200 per employee a month!!!) Ask for another $300 to $600 a month, because they are asking for a lot in this day and age to expect a professional, educated person to just not have any benefits
    4. What is your definition of benefits? They still are required to pay social security to the feds, along with all the other stuff....taxes....
    5. What about retirement?

If it were me, I would consider it, if the payday was big enough and I had control over the money that would normally go into some defined benefit package....

What you describe sounds like an independent contractor.......kinda how strip club operators deal with dancers.....er.....at least that's what I've heard......
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Aug 2001
    An employer that doesn't offer benefits makes me wonder about how much they value their employees. If they are skimpy on benefits, what else are the going to skimp on?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. I have been offered a job!
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 26 Oct 2012, 9:47 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 19 Feb 2009, 10:57 AM
  3. Environmental benefits of car-sharing?
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Jul 2007, 2:26 PM
  4. The benefits of membership!
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Feb 2002, 10:36 AM