Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: MUP and alternative career path

Registered
    Feb 2006

MUP and alternative career path

How common is it for Master's in Urban Planning students to get a second degree, let's say PhD, in another field such as History and Sociology?

I am asking this question because I am very much interested in the urban planning programs (my undergraduate major is urban studies) at the master's level. However, my long-term goal is to become a college professor. I'm more social-science-oriented.

Any thoughts?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wow, that's a pretty specific kind of combination. It is very common for science and humanities majors in undergrad studies to swap to urban planning in their grad/phd programs. I also know a lot of planners that have gotten totally fed up with their careers and switched to teaching, accounting, business administration, etc. It looks like you'd just be taking the quick path of grad school to phd without practicing planning in between. I'm guessing you'll be pretty unique within our cyburbia population.

But if it's where your interests lie, and you have a bunch of money to stay in school for that long, go with what you like most. I mean, it's going to be a big chunk of your life, so why waste learning something you aren't interested in, right?

Good luck!

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Is that very bad? I will still teach seminars on urban studies, particularly urban history and urban issues. Teaching is more of my passion. (My undergraduate major emphasizes a lot of policy so urban planning is not new to me).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by anonbhmres View post
    Is that very bad? I will still teach seminars on urban studies, particularly urban history and urban issues. Teaching is more of my passion. (My undergraduate major emphasizes a lot of policy so urban planning is not new to me).
    No, I wasn't trying to say that it's bad. I'm saying that you may not get many replies to this thread because that's a very specific education path that you want information on, and many of us tend to do it the other way around. I say that you should study whatever you're interested in, and it sounds like you have that nailed down.

Registered
    Feb 2006
    I understand that the Master's in Urban Planning is a professional degree. I should only consider the program if I want to be involved as a planner or community development activist?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Not necassarily. If you want to teach planning in college as an adjunct professor you will probably need at least a masters (most of these professors only taught part time and worked full-time as planners elsewhere). Regular planning faculty had either a bachelors, masters, and doctorate, with at least the last two degrees in planning or they a bachelors and a doctorate, with at least the last degree in planning. This is far different that architecture or landscape architecture, which is more applied than theory/research, where more faculty have just a masters.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Career path advice
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Jul 2012, 11:26 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 19 May 2012, 5:38 PM
  3. Professional development and career path
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 07 Apr 2011, 3:41 PM