Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Light rail costs...

Light rail costs...

Hey all, I was wondering, what are light rail costs for when it runs underground? I know it can be from 40-60 million per mile, but what would it be for an underground line?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    do you mean capital costs?

I don't think you could come up with a ballpark for something like that! depth, utilities, soils, right of way costs will all vary dramactically depending upon application. 40-60 million for track seems a bit high to me! I don't think you can have an average cost for that as amount of rolling stock needed, station requirements, and signals/operating costs would vary as well.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Well the price is different for different cities, Norfolk (i think that was the city, or something else with an N) was about 30-40 million per mile, while Phoenix was like 60 million per mile.

While KC isn't as dense as some cities, we still don't have a lot of room to put light rail other than the street itself, and our current DT plan has several avenues to be changed to more pedestrian oriented and transit oriented streets in the future.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by HeartlandCityBoy View post
    Hey all, I was wondering, what are light rail costs for when it runs underground? I know it can be from 40-60 million per mile, but what would it be for an underground line?
    Would generally be equivalent to subway costs - in the range of $100-200 million per mile, depending on the tunnelling technology used, number of stations, etc.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Ahah rule of thumb costs, the holy grail?!

Sunderland extension to the Newcastle Metro, UK, cost about £11m a mile. In 2004.

San Jose's cost $25 million per mile back in 1992.

OTrain project in Ontario Canada reckons it only cost $21m Canadian for 8km, but that used existing track.

The UK Department of transport estimated pevious costs exceed £40m per km in the UK, in a report which effectively said light rail was no good in Britain.

So erm... i dont know, but generally speaking alot. Looks like about $40 - 60 as you said? But the examples above all used existing track in places i think, so higher if its on street.

I seem to remember a good rule of tumb as times it by 5 if its underground.

I might look into this.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Trolley and light rail on same ROW
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 21 Dec 2007, 12:47 PM
  2. Austin light rail
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 14 Jun 2005, 5:27 PM
  3. Light Rail Overdue