Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Personal Experience Questionnaires

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Personal Experience Questionnaires

As planners, we have often used questionnaires to judge public opinion about a particular topic, such as the addition of streetlights, installing sidewalks, or other development concerns that might get political. But how would you answer questioners relating to your personal experiences in your youth and up until now, such as what are your greatest accomplishments and memories? We might answer these in a lackadaisical way remembering conferences, promotions, or scoring the winning touchdown at the homecoming game. (No, I did not play football)

However, what do you do when they are the questionnaires for your high school or college reunion? I have to come up with answers to what was my “Best High School Memory” and my “Greatest Accomplishment Since High School, and the answers will end up in a memory book. The difficult thing is I did not have that great of time while I was in HS, and did not come out of my shell until my Sophomore Year of College.

I thought about giving typical meaningless answers such as my best high school memory was the class trip to Washington DC, or the bonfire parties and this persons house, or everyone going to the hockey game, and my greatest accomplishment was meeting my wonderful fiancée.

One buddy is going to have fun with it and come up with completely crazy stuff but I don’t know. I am leaning towards giving the generic answer.

How would you answer the questions of what was your best high school memory, and what is your greatest accomplishment since high school… with the stories being published in some memory book for all of your former classmates to hold against you…. Ahhh I mean use as a tool to remember the past.
    You get what you give.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    The best thing about high school was the day I graduated and got to leave behind those back-stabbing bitches who ran our class. High school was miserable for me. And I wouldn't hesitate to say that if asked.

My best accomplishment: I would be tempted to say I went to a much more prestigious college than all the back-stabbing bitches. But I guess I could think of something better.

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I am what is refered to as "everyman" Nothing outstanding, middle of the road etc
    The reunion (I have gone to two) were about the same, some people are still nice and some are still vicious but tended to congregate with the nice people After traveling a couple of thousand miles, I was't about to be around vicious people and let them put a downer on me
    Although I wish I would have enough imagination to put down something outrageous and scandelous even if it was't true
    I will probably do this for the next one

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Best memory in HS - crashing a graduation party, while there getting invited to two others and ending the week by begining a relationship with a long time friend which lasted the summer, and picked up again the following summer. Only broke up with her when I met my wife.

Best thing since HS - two perfect jobs, Habitat for Humanity and my current one in TOD Planning.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    How would you answer the questions of what was your best high school memory, and what is your greatest accomplishment since high school… with the stories being published in some memory book for all of your former classmates to hold against you…. Ahhh I mean use as a tool to remember the past.
    err on the side of bland. People are going to be reading these critically, and possibly out loud to their friends.

Best memory: This is hard - I have a lot of really happy memories of high school - I wasn't "in" by any means, but I had some good friends that were a lot of fun. I was the lead in the high school production of Little Shop of Horrors. Cultural Exchange Club sleepovers in the Gymnasium. Gifted and Talented trips to Boston and Toronto. I could come up with a ton if I really thought about it.

As for my greatest accomplishment?
    Finding a good balance between being a professional, a mom, a wife and an individual.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    They have not found me yet, not that it really matters to me. (Slightly better than ZG but not by much)

Too bad you opened it, I would have "Return To Sender"
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Couple nice high school memories.....

Bear dating Doreen.....Doreen and Bear break-up......Doreen starts dating Don.....Bear tells Don he is a dixx.....Don challenges Bear to "the big fight".....Don arrives in Bear's "hood".....Bear gets lucky with a punch and breaks Don's nose.....Doreen slugs Bear (something Don couldn't do).....Monday morning Don tells classmates that he walked into door.....Bear smiles at lie.....Doreen calls Bear and says "I'm back!".....

Creative Writing Teacher says "Class, here are three objects. Write a story that includes these objects.".....Bear does not follow lead of others and write about the physical objects shown, but rather writes in metaphorical terms about the objects, tying-in to a pair of older men sitting on a park bench in a European city, waiting for the certain death of radiation poisoning (because the superpowers had just exchanged numerous nukes).....Creative Writing Teacher begins next class with "You people need to hear this story."......Creative Writing Teacher reads my story.....classmates gasp and clap.....

Life after that was all downhill.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The value of experience
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 08 Apr 2011, 4:39 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Oct 2008, 10:57 AM
  3. Gaining Experience