Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Scuba National Geographic diver certification

Registered
    Jul 2006

Scuba National Geographic diver certification

Finally! I'm a certified open water scuba and National Geographic diver! Did my open water and Nat'l Geo dives in Monterey, CA this past weekend and it was thrilling! Can't wait to go on my post-cert dives now... I'm so excited I can't even express it!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Well congratulations. What's involved in National Geographic certification?

I think we've got a PADI member or two on board.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Congrats! My parents gave me the NAUI certification course for my 13th birthday (and I passed) - way too many years ago. Enjoyed diving until I moved away from FLA.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Well congratulations. What's involved in National Geographic certification?

I think we've got a PADI member or two on board.
    Thanks! National Geo involves a few more navigational skills, underwater ecology and their ID, learning how to sketch underwater, etc. It's like a piggy-back cert with the PADI one.

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Congrats! My parents gave me the NAUI certification course for my 13th birthday (and I passed) - way too many years ago. Enjoyed diving until I moved away from FLA.
    That's a fantastic birthday gift! I imagine you enjoyed diving while you were in Fla? I did my dives in Monterey which was rather cold (55 F) water and I will continue to dive there since I live in the Bay Area. Visibility is very spotty because the Pacific can go from calm to surgy in minutes but it's a great dive area anyway.
    Last edited by Maister; 21 Feb 2007 at 8:12 AM.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Got PADI cert when I was 14 down in Panama'

Wow I miss that warm clear water (as she looks out on the ice and snow)
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Congratulations! Being underwater has always been ... a fear ... of mine. Perhaps it has something to do with having to be rescued from the bottom of a lake...

Off-topic:
    My 7YO daughter has a PFO -- essentially a hole in one of the chambers of her heart. It really doesn't effect her life in any meaningful way, according to her cardiologist. But the first time he told me about it, he said she wouldn't be able to do scuba diving, to which I replied "Well, there goes her career as a Navy diver."

Zoom forward two years to her next examination, and when he assures me that she will have a normal life, he concludes with, "Except that she will never be a professional scuba diver."
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Congratulations! Being underwater has always been ... a fear ... of mine. Perhaps it has something to do with having to be rescued from the bottom of a lake...

Off-topic:
    My 7YO daughter has a PFO -- essentially a hole in one of the chambers of her heart. It really doesn't effect her life in any meaningful way, according to her cardiologist. But the first time he told me about it, he said she wouldn't be able to do scuba diving, to which I replied "Well, there goes her career as a Navy diver."

Zoom forward two years to her next examination, and when he assures me that she will have a normal life, he concludes with, "Except that she will never be a professional scuba diver."
    I'm happy to hear that your daughter is doing well and no real need for worry now! Yes fortunately PADI and NAUI are quite diligent about medical history of all divers prior to letting them start a class, so it helps minimize accidents. My class was lucky to have one of the best instructors in the area so we had loads of fun and learnt the importance of safe diving in Monterey.

I can relate to your fear of underwater... it's quite a place and takes a bit of work for some people to get over the fear!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Scuba: a somewhat suicidal hobby?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 04 Jul 2012, 5:07 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 07 Feb 2006, 9:19 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 08 Sep 2005, 4:47 PM
  4. Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 Feb 2005, 5:12 PM