Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Definition help: retail and service uses

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Definition help: retail and service uses

I need to develop some general definitions for "Use, Retail" and "Use, Service".

So far I have this:

Use, Retail. Sale of individual items or small quantities to the general public or end user customers, usually in a shop, also called store.

But I don't have one for service uses (ie, banks, professional/medical offices, salons, etc.)

Any pointers or good definitions out there?
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Depending what you are using the definitions for, you might want to add "and rendering services incidental to the sale of such products" to your retail definition -- or is it that you are trying to provide a clear differentiation between retail uses and service uses?

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    From APA's Planners Dictionary:

retail sales establishment
    • A commercial enterprise that provides goods and/or services directly to the consumer, where such goods are available for immediate purchase and removal from the premises by the purchaser. (Federal Way, Wash.)
    • Sale or rental with incidental service of commonly used goods and merchandise for personal or household use but excludes those classified more specifically by definition. (Bedford County, Va.)
    • Establishments engaged in selling commodities or goods in small quantities to ultimate customers or consumers. (Burlingame, Calif.)
    • A business having as its primary function the supply of merchandise or wares to the end consumer. Such sales constitute the “primary function” of the business when such sales equal at least 80 percent of the gross sales of the business. (Maple Grove, Minn.)
    • The retail sale of any article, substance, or commodity within a building but not including the sale of lumber or other building materials. (King City, Calif.)
    • A place of business devoted in whole or in part to the sale, rental, or servicing of goods or commodities which are nor-mally delivered or provided on the premises to a consumer. (Glen Ellyn, Ill.)
    • Establishments selling commodities directly to the consumer. (Lake Lure, N.C.)
    • An establishment of more than 10,000 but less than 25,000 square feet of gross floor area in which 60 percent or more of the gross floor area is devoted to the sale or rental of goods or merchandise to the general public for personal or household consumption or to services incidental to the sale or rental of such goods or merchandise. (Loveland, Colo.)

service
    • An act, or any results of useful labor, which does not in itself produce a tangible commodity. (Lake Elsinore, Calif.)

service establishment
    • Any establishment whose primary activity is the provision of assistance, as opposed to products, to individuals, business, industry, government, and other enterprises. (North Liberty, Iowa)
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Hope these help

PERSONAL SERVICE SHOP means a building or part of a building in which persons are employed in furnishing direct services and otherwise directly administering to the individual and personal needs of persons, and without limiting the generality of the foregoing, may include such establishments as barber shops, beauty parlors, automatic laundry shops, hairdressing shops, shoe repair and shoe shining, and tailoring, laundry and dry-cleaning collection depots and shops, but excludes the manufacturing or fabrication of goods for retail or wholesale distribution.

RETAIL STORE means a building or part of a building in which goods, wares, merchandise, substances, articles, services or things are offered for sale directly to the public at retail value.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Thanks for the help guys, but we decided that creating new definitions would unnecessary.

We don't want to potentially limit ourselves when defining certain uses.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 23 May 2013, 12:02 PM
  2. Retail and service demand thresholds
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Oct 2007, 9:38 PM
  3. Retail matching service
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 13