Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kids - Planning Summer Vacations

Quote Originally posted by Flying Monkeys View post
    I am looking for ideas about where to take the kids for a summer vacation. Since I have had kids I always try to take a week during summer and do the 'family vacation' thing. Anyone else trying to plan a summer vacation yet? I find that you have to reserve early if it is a busy place or be shut out.

One idea was to do a three day canoe trip down the Missouri River past the White Cliffs on the Lewis and Clark trail. (any tips Otterpop?)

Another is to do the Washington DC tour.
    Just some general vacation advice here:

Are you camping? That would be my advise: To Camp by either tent, pop-up or small trailer. I can think of nothing worse for kids than having to stay in some sterile chain motel off the strip somewhere, night after night no matter how many great places you visit during the day. It just defeats the whole purpose. Plus it costs a bundle of money.

Think about it. If someone were to give you $1,000 toward your vacation but you had to come home as soon as it was spent, you could probably stretch it out to almost a month if you mostly camped and cooked your own food. This includes paying for admission to some of the attractions for the day trips you are planning.

On the other hand: Stay at a motel and eat out everynight, and you'll be back home in a week. Because if you stay at a motel, you have to eat out as well most likely.

On vacation, motels are OK once a week or so, to clean up and decompress. But never the whole trip.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I plan on taking my 13 year old to DC this summer, perhaps in June. She's a huge history and museum buff and wants to go there and take the train to get there. Any thoughts on having a car free 4-5 day vacation in DC?
    Make sure the tempertature is below 90 degrees. DC can get very hot and humid really quick. One year the Mrs. Star and I had her nieces from Akron for a week. We took them to DC and spent a good amount of time in the bowels of DC on the Metro because they liked the subway (their first time on it)and it had AC.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Ahem as the resident DC person (looks to see if the others are awake) please don't come in the summer, your kids will be hot and cranky, you will be angry at the prices of hotel rooms and FYI the American History Meu is closed for 2 years as they redo it.

DC is GREAT, fantastic area to get around without a car but do it in the fall or spring, no lines, much cheaper rates and MUCH cooler. Oh except for the couple of weeks around the Cherry Blossoms-they truly jack prices up then.

Bring your family on spring break or fall break or if they can be taken out of school come in the fall-you will enjoy it MUCH more.

But I'm biased we always take our vacations in the fall, late Sept to early Oct.

If you want more DC info let me know
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    Here are some suggestions:

camping just about anywhere, my families favorites are Moab, a great place for kids to explore the red rocks, go on a river trip, arches national park. Out side of yosemite or in the toulumne meadows areas. Beartooth Passs in southern Montana is great as well.

I love yellowstone, and one ofthe best vacations we ever went on as a kid was our annual trip to sleep in the old, rustic cabins at old faithful. They are basically one room, some with shared baths others with baths, but it is a great family experience. We plan on doing this with our kids this summer.

We went to Monterey Bay last summer. The kids loved it. The aquarium is amazing. My wife loved the old antique stores along cannery row. The tide pools are a great place for kids to play, explore, and see marine life. This was probably the best family vacation I have ever been on.

Registered
    May 2005
    New Mexico is wonderful for camping and historic sites (Chaco Canyon, and other Anasazi ruins as well as Pueblo ruins and lots of early Spanish colonial stuff). Camping is one of our favorite family activities in warm weather. In fact, weekend after this we will be heading down toward Silver City in the southwest corner of the state.

Here are some photos of Chaco: http://www.chaco.com/park/photos/index.html

The northern half of the state is probably the best in the summer. Its high elevation and various mountain ranges are cool and shady. There are wonderful little towns from the more popular Taos and Chimayo to the dusty, out of the way villages like Truchas and Las Trampas. Las Vegas (New Mexico) is also a cool place with a neat old plaza and old downtown area (they have a great independent bookstore and coffee shop there). There are great bed and breakfast, hot springs, and camping near the town of Jemez Springs as well. Almost everywhere in NM is family-friendly.

The high road to taos: http://www.newmexico.org/place/loc/b...place/639.html

The diversity of terrain also makes for great driving. The Valles Caldera, for example, is a huge, extinct volcanic cone you can drive along the edge of. http://www.vallescaldera.gov/

If you go through this area from Santa Fe, you will end up going through Jemez Springs as well. Continuing on toward Albuquerque, you pass through red rock, yellow rock, and large, white gypsum deposits.

Santa Fe is worth the trip - a great children's museum and many other gallery/museum options. Although overpriced and somewhat artificial in its design-based code that requires everything be slathered in stucco, the area around the plaza is very neat to walk around and is much like a Medeival town street pattern.

Museums in and around Santa Fe: http://www.collectorsguide.com/sf/sfmud.html

South of Santa Fe is a very cool place worth the visit called El Rancho de Las Golondrinas. Its a living history museum, but much more interesting than others I have been to. It focuses on Spanish colonial lifeways and is an actual functioning ranch. I like the wheat mill that is powered by traditional irrigation waterways called acequias.

http://www.golondrinas.org/

You could easily do most everything I mentioned within a week's time.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2004

Ok....

Here are a couple ideas:

Top Ten:
    1. Williamsburg Virginia/Busch Gardens/Waterparks...

2. Mesa Verde is perhaps one of my favorite family places to visit for kids of that age, along with Durango and Silverton Railroad trip in Colorado

3. Bar Harbor Maine/Lobstering/LL Bean/Sea Kayaking

4. Northern Arizona/Grand Canyon/Painted Desert/Crater Park/Canyon DeChelly/Monument Valley/Four Corners/Native American Lands in General

5. Washington DC- Younger kids Air and Space Mus. but kids should be at least a little interested in history before going just for them....

6. San Francisco- I think the kids would like Muir Woods, Alcatraz, Wharf, Ghirardelli Chocolate....

7. Moab Utah- Rafting, Biking, Hiking, Camping, Nat. Parks, Arches, Canyonlands, 4x4....

8. Asheville NC/Great Smoky Mountains Park

9. St. Augustine Florida- Beach, Old Fort, Period Dress/Actions

10. Tetons/Yellowstone- Animals, Mountains, Hiking, Camping, Rafting, Canoe

Tetons should be in the Top 5

Worst place for kids.....I guess.....I've never been....

Branson Missouri
    Last edited by The One; 22 Feb 2007 at 8:01 PM. Reason: Tetons should be in the top 5
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl View post
    FYI the American History Meu is closed for 2 years as they redo it.
    Really? For two years? When did that start and when does it end?

By the way, people posting to this tread have had some really great advice/tips. I am still hopping OTTERPOP will post about the White Cliffs area.. or anyone else who may have done the canoe/camping trip. But great posts, thanks.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    http://americanhistory.si.edu/about/renovations.cfm

Closed Sept 5, 2006 will reopen "Summer 2008"
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Summer Vacations - 2011
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 21 Mar 2011, 2:50 PM
  2. Summer vacations - 2010
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 95
    Last post: 04 Oct 2010, 12:02 PM
  3. Planning for Career and Kids