Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Crosstown expressway to be resurrected in Chicago?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Crosstown expressway to be resurrected in Chicago?

Illinois State (legislature) House Speaker Michael Madigan (D-Chicago) has just introduced legislation to revive the planned/canceled/planned/canceled Crosstown Expressway in Chicago under the auspices of the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority. This road, proposed to be built along railroad RsOW east of Cicero Av and near 75th St from near the Edens/Kennedy junction to the Dan Ryan just south of the Skyway, would remove a lot of overhead through traffic from the Circle interchange in the downtown Chicago area, make it much easier to get into and out of the industrial areas in the city but would have impacts on the residential neighborhoods along the way.

I could also envision a transit/CTA element being included in the plans, if they do move forward.

See:
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,2922578.story
    for more.

I also find the current numbers in the Trib's unscientific opinion poll on the matter to be rather 'interesting' (nearly three-quarters of the respondents at the time of this posting were in favor of it with two-thirds favoring it as a freeway over a Tollway).

Any thoughts?

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2001
    My thoughts are simple. What is the true impetus for this connector? At one time it was to serve industry in the mid-west side. Hasn't that changed considerably?

I would be supportive of it only as a tollway coupled with a mass transit line. Single use rows are a thing of the past. Chicago has been in an innovator in multi-mode rows. They should continue the tradition.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Being that I currently live about 1-2 miles from Cicero Ave, my interest was piqued when I heard this on the news recently.

It does seem to be reasonable as a logical inner circle within the limited access road system in Chicagoland. But I do have reservations about the costs.

When this was originally concieved under Daley the First (1960s?), the costs probably would have been comparatively low. Now, it would probably be astronomical. Though, it may make alot of the currently vacant/underutilized industrial along the route more valuable and marketable for industrial/research facilities.

And I totally agree with boiker (and Daley the Second) that the new roadway must have rapid transit as intergal.

It definitely would be getting back to the age of Big Building that we haven't seen for a couple decades.

While the State Legislature is at it, they should alos send IL-53 past Lake-Cook Rd. to I-94, and hurry up on the completion of I-355 to I-80 in the southwest suburbs.

And screw Hastert's Prairie Parkway.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Could be a good way to get a new rapid transit line built.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Interesting in that King Richard I's originally proposed Crosstown would have connected with the Kennedy where its midpoint express lane slip ramps are now. Prior to the Kennedy's rebuild in the 1990s, there were ghost ramps for the connection there. It would have run southward from the Kennedy between Rockwell and Talman Avs by Diversey Parkway

Later plans had it connecting at the Edens split.

The more recent plans (which I have seen - and it would have been a fascinating freeway, indeed) included flyover ramps at the Dan Ryan/Crosstown interchange (near 75th St) and new flyover ramps at the Dan Ryan/Skyway interchange that would allow for direct movements between the two (the Skyway connects at about 65th St).

Mike

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Every time I try to head from my Southwest Side home to points north without taking the Dan Ryan, I weep for the Crosstown. I'm all in favor of it, but is there realistically going to be any money for this? The cost must be astronomical; the Crosstown surely can't be contained just to the ROW, there must be some major acquistion along the way.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    As much as you may weep for the crosstowm, pete... I'm not too confident that it wouldn't be jammed like the rest. I suspect that a feeway (or even tollway) would attract all the traffic that currently uses streets like Western Kedzie, and Pulaski, leading to little improvement in travel times.

I think the transit line would be great, but I fear that it will not offer the one-seat rides that are critical to attracting new riders (i.e. the line would only intersect the spokes of the system, without travelling on any of them.)

Do I think it's worth studying? Absolutely. Should caution be used in rainsing peoples hopes that it will be a cure rather than a band aid? Without a doubt.
    What luck! A random assemblage of words never sounded less intelligent.

In Time...

I honestly think the only way this would ever come to fruition is if Chicago is awarded those damn Olympics in '16. The CTA and IDOT are broke as it is and can barely keep up with the massive overhaul the "L" system needs, let alone money for anything more than a couple line extensions...time will tell my friends but a western connector would be crucial.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    The state is in debt up to their eyeballs, so I don't know how they would fund this. If we get the Olympics and federal money, I think there's a very good shot at this being built.

Currently, getting to Midway for anyone is a headache. Cicero Avenue is horrible. Hopefully this would make it easier. In addition, all the through traffic that takes 90/94 can now have an alternative to the jammed Dan Ryan or the oft-congested Tri-State. Granted, this crosstown expressway will probably be jammed too, but keep in mind that part of the reason is because Chicagoland already has one of the lowest expressway miles per capita of any major American city.

And it must include the CTA line. Ever try to get from Rosemont or O'Hare to the North Side (something a lot of people do)? It takes much longer than it should, since you have to go into the Loop to make any transfers. This would eliminate that.

Supposedly, the state knows they need a capital projects bill (as they haven't had one for almost 10 years), but they don't know how to fund it. Go figure.

And I agree with mendelman on 53. Build it now! The Prairie Parkway/Outer-belt needs to be built, but I think it can probably wait about 10 years. And it needs to actually be a complete outer-belt for it to work. None of this one-segment-at-a-time bullcrap.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Quote Originally posted by warningpunk View post
    I honestly think the only way this would ever come to fruition is if Chicago is awarded those damn Olympics in '16. The CTA and IDOT are broke as it is and can barely keep up with the massive overhaul the "L" system needs, let alone money for anything more than a couple line extensions...time will tell my friends but a western connector would be crucial.
    I think that's Daley's plan. Win the Olympics for the main reason of receiving billions in infrastructure improvements. It would be really neat if an L could be extended down along the center of the proposed Crosstown Expressway to the orange line so there can be a relatively quick O'Hare - Midway connection. Just a thought...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Greetings from Chicago!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Aug 2012, 1:10 PM
  2. Greetings from Chicago
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 09 Aug 2006, 4:33 PM
  3. Replies: 28
    Last post: 28 Dec 2004, 12:08 PM