Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Technical review committees - composition and powers

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2006

Technical review committees - composition and powers

I'm looking for examples of different technical review committees, who are members of the committee, and their powers toward the reviewing plan process.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Note: I'm a county planner, so it might be different for an urban planner.
    Anyway, County Engineering, Public Health, Emergency Management, The Sheriff's Office, National Resource Conservation Service, Linn County Conservation and Planning and Development are all represented on the Committee. The Committee has the power to put conditions on plats, conditional uses and rezonings that must be met prior to approval, so it's a fairly powerful group. You could theoretically put conditions so difficult that you would, in essence, deny the project. By the way, Planning and Zoning Commission has the right to remove Planning and Development's conditions, but no one elses'.
    Do you want to pet my monkey?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Ours is made up of county surveyor, county engineer, platbook maintenance, soil and water conservation, a member of the drainage board, and the planning director(me). As for what it does, it approves site plans, replats and construction plans for major subdivisions. It makes recommendations for different stages of the PUD process and rezonings.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    When I was a planner in NC I headed up our TRC, it was pretty much a formality at the end of the plan review process. Water & Sewer, Engineering, Trans, building official all those folk were on the committee. Some showed some did not depending on personality but honestly they had already done their reviews and gotten the plan in an approvable form before the meeting. The meeting was to say grace over it and sign a sheet. Dealt with any building over 3,000 sf that was not a SFH and any form of subdivision not exempted by the state. Feel free to ping me if you have questions I'm happy to help
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    We have a Development Review Team - it's comprised of me (Planning Director), Code Enforcement, Fire, Police, Public Works Director and his division heads in water, sewer and streets -

we do a technical review of the plans and make formal findings of compliance to the Planning Board in writing -

the Ordinance requires that capacity satements from these departments are provided (i.e. that the water department can adequately serve the site, etc.) -

we meet twice a month as necessary and have the applicant present

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2006

Thanks

Thanks for the responses!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Regional fan base composition
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 09 Oct 2011, 10:33 PM