Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Light meters

Registered
    May 2005

Light meters

I am curious if anyone has any experience/opinons about hand held light meters and their effectiveness?

Any recommendations or things I should look out for when searching for one?

Are the cheaper, hand held varieties worth purchasing?

I basically have no experience in using a light meter but though that it may be useful to have one as part of the site plan approval process.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2006
    We bought one from Grainger for less than 200 bucks. They are fun and easy to use.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    I'm curious to know if you've found the actual results to be comparable to the projected footcandles given by the mfr of by lighting design programs. Are they fairly accurate?
    Adrift in a sea of beige

     
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    The light meter my department has comes pretty close to the proposed illumination plans when I field check sites after construction. But I have not had a project over the proposed illumination level that a correction request has resulted in a challenge of our meter. I really don't know if our meter is accurate.

However, we can only measure at spot locations and our code mostly enforces an average maintain illumination level over the site and not spot illumination levels. We have to rely on the applicant's lighting consultant to provide those averages and I often wonder if they are only providing the numbers to meet the standard.

Lighting seems to be an area that the majority of planners in our office have the least knowledge of both theory and practice. Besides, who wants to visit a site after work and in the dark to measure these illumination levels anyway? I only field check the standard offenders like car lots and fuel stations and when we get citizen complaints.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 20 Sep 2012, 9:01 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Aug 2010, 1:28 PM
  3. Market-based meters
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 24 Oct 2007, 11:08 AM