Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Working on your own

Registered
    Jul 2002

Working on your own

I'm working on my own at the moment and while there are some benefits, I get really bored from having no interaction with others! Sometimes I find it hard to structure my day too - I think I prefer having lots of different things to do rather than just one big project. I work in a central city serviced office so there are others working around me but they're all busy with their own stuff (and older than me). Even though the city's right outside, I can only find so many reasons to run errands and I tend to spend a lot of time at my computer. Sometimes I get sooo bored! I have friends working nearby and we meet up occasionally but they have less flexibility to meet up than I do.

For those of you working on your own, how do you break up your day and get your fix of human interaction? How do you stay sane?? Of course Cyburbia's a help

Registered
    Aug 2001
    This is the first position I have had where I do feel there is a lot of interaction with others. It feels good!

Cyburbia was always a social place for me. I would also try to keep an afternnon free each week, and would spend it working from a coffee shop with an exceptional vibe. I called it my creative place. While I didn't go there to socialize, the environment was invigorating.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2002
    JNL said:
    I'm working on my own at the moment and while there are some benefits, I get really bored from having no interaction with others! Sometimes I find it hard to structure my day too - I think I prefer having lots of different things to do rather than just one big project.
    So are you a self-employed, one man show consultant or do you work for an organization, but spend a lot of time working on your own?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dashboard View post
    So are you a self-employed, one man show consultant or do you work for an organization, but spend a lot of time working on your own?
    I am a self-employed, one-woman consultant although I do quite a bit of work with an architect in the same building. I do small projects with councils mainly and I love the site visits and workshops with council staff, but right now I'm just working on some guidelines and I'm stuck in windowless office all day

Cardinal - that's a great idea to spend an afternoon in a coffee shop as there are heaps of cool independent cafes around here.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by JNL View post
    I am a self-employed, one-woman consultant...
    Hey, me too! I love my independence, but I agree, it can be tough if you don't get an occasional dose of social interaction... whether it's telephone conversations with associates and clients that are not related to work or getting together with friends for lunch or whatever.

Sometimes it's just not possible, though. I try to break up my day by taking the dog for a walk, or running errands, or checking out Cyburbia. I don't have the coffee shop option because of where I am located. I'd love to hear about other ideas.

Quote Originally posted by JNL View post
    I'm stuck in windowless office all day
    Oooh, I would not like that at all. That would be too much isolation for me.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Working in the UK
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 10:20 AM
  2. The PM is not working
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 08 Jul 2010, 10:13 PM
  3. Working for HUD
    Career Development and Advice