Urban planning community

Poll results: Do you feel manipulated by the team player mindset ?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I watch my DVD of The Prisoner instead. I am not a number.

1 11.11%
  • Yes, but my family forces me to watch.

0 0%
  • Yes, smart people scare me.

0 0%
  • Maybe, what's it to you ?

4 44.44%
  • No, I can never get enough. Grissom is, like, the best boss ever.

0 0%
  • No, Hulk smash.

1 11.11%
  • No, but where did you get that attitude ?

4 44.44%
  • Other.

2 22.22%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Team building TV

Registered
    Jul 2005

Team building TV

Team players have taken over television. From shows like The Unit, Desperate Housewives, CSI, Heros, The Amazing Race, to game shows where the entire extended family is jumping up and down, the ensemble cast has never been bigger, so to speak.

Do you feel manipulated by the team player mindset ?

Have you been trained at work, at school, at home to be a team player ?
    Last edited by safege; 28 Feb 2007 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Figured out how to add the poll
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by safege View post
    Do you feel manipulated by the team player mindset ?

Have you been trained at work, at school, at home to be a team player ?
    I guess being a member of a team might be a problem if one's own goals were somehow at odds with the team's purported goals/mission, but unless that's the case I don't see what the problem would be. Perhaps this is a sort of context specific thing? Was there a particular scenario you had in mind where teamwork would be undesirable?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    this is a hilarious poll - I marked the maybe one because yeah, I strive for the team concept at work

my husband, however, would have marked The Prisoner - he and I are both Prisoner buffs, btw, and he hates watching CSI and Desperate Housewives!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    I doubt that TV series revolving about teams and/or teamwork will actually influence me...
    Lost, Prison Break, Heroes, all have more or like that, but still I see no reason why or how it could influence me.

House MD and The Sarah Silverman Program on the other hand....

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I guess being a member of a team might be a problem if one's own goals were somehow at odds with the team's purported goals/mission, but unless that's the case I don't see what the problem would be. Perhaps this is a sort of context specific thing? Was there a particular scenario you had in mind where teamwork would be undesirable?
    I'l try to explain. It's where we are today, a reflection our times.

In the 50s, at one time almost all the TV shows were westerns, macho and mostly sexist. In those years, a work group based on teams usually meant men having a sales and marketing meeting, to which most employees were not invited.

The 60s to the 80s had shows about spies, private eyes, lawyers and cops. In these years, Angie Dickinson, and Cagney and Lacey were cops, and the workplace was going through many changes.

Today, many shows that are star vehicles are not in vogue. The ensemble cast matches the ensemble workplace to a large extent.

Take Clint Eastwood for example, In the 50s he was part of a mostly all male cast in Rawhide. In the 60s, he made star billing for good/bad men in movies made in Italy. Later on, he pushed the violence envelope with Dirty Harry.Today, he directs war pictures, but they are ensemble war pictures, a genre that works well with the ensemble approach.

Personally, I am back in the sixties with The Prisoner TV series. Not that I don't live in the real world too, but back in the 80s, when I was in my first team building seminar, the instructor asked for words to describe the newer and better workplace.
    I raised my hand and said "autonomy". I guess you had to be there.
    Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Can't really say that I watch these shows or t.v. much at all, besides it appears that most of it is reality or warped reality based t.v. these days. While I think it is important to learn how to work well with others, at some point you have to learn how to step outside of the team mentality to actually lead when necessary.

I used to work with one guy whose mantra was "There's no I in team." I gave him the book on Groupthink. Being a lemming isn't my idea of being a good team member. Maybe that's why on one review I had it was said "does not play well with others consistently."
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Are you saying you feel that our culture is becoming too consensus-driven? If so, do you think the television shows are a sign of the times or do believe they a means to perpetuate this (either intentionally or unintentionally)?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    TV team players to the extreme would be the Borg, from the various Star Trek series. Talk about drinking the Kool-Aid! "Resistance is useless. You will be assimilated."

Real team players. Probably why everyone hated them. That and their mission to take over the universe.

At work I am a believer in being a team player. I chide my son to do whatever he needs to do for the betterment of the family (put on his shoes so I am not late to work, brush his teeth, put on the extra clothes because his mother wants him to, etc.), though a lot of that is just so he doesn't make my life more difficult.

Being a team player is a good thing in many cases, but you also need to retain the desire to split off from the pack if they are heading for a cliff.

I do not ascribe to the notion we need to continue the same course of action that isn't working because we need to present a united front.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    TV team players to the extreme would be the Borg, from the various Star Trek series. Talk about drinking the Kool-Aid! "Resistance is useless. You will be assimilated."

Real team players. Probably why everyone hated them. That and their mission to take over the universe.
    Funny you should mention the villains of Star Trek....what about the heroes? Aren't the crews of the various Enterprises consensus-driven 'team players'. (Picard: "Geordi, we need warp 6 power in ten minutes or we won't be able to intercept the Arcturian freighter." Geordi: "The dilithium crystals are fracturing already, sir!" Data: "Sir, I believe we can bypass the sensor array and direct a stream of proton particles at the core and thereby regenerate the dilithium matrix.....)
    Last edited by Maister; 01 Mar 2007 at 3:58 PM.

Registered
    May 2005
    I think what is interesting about the "team player" tv shows (though I admit I am not very familiar with many) is that while the challenge put forth requires working together, the casting crews go out of their way to assemple casts that will have a very hard time doing this. The result is often watching a group of people FAIL at working collectively and somewhow enjoying the ensuing chaos. In the limited viewing I have done of some of these shows, I am usually struck by the lack of skill people seem to have in just getting along productively.

So, I don't really feel pressured to be part of the team by these shows (since they often do not illustrate it very well), but I actualy do a lot of "team building" at my job and we consciously emply a collective governance and decision making structure. So, yeah, I'm on board with the team (unless their a bunch of yahoos, in which case I will secretly undermine their sense of security ad then whamo! pull the rug out from under them, crushing them for the pleasure all my tv viewers...)
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Aug 2010, 10:29 PM
  2. Help us name our bowling team!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 08 Jan 2009, 4:27 PM
  3. Hey team,
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 1