Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Preserving old mills and factories

Registered
    Apr 2005

Preserving old mills and factories

I'm really interested in the preservation of old industrial sites and in their conversion to lofts, retail, etc when located in a feasible area. Are there any national organizations (other than Nat. Trust for Historic Preservation) that work specifically with these types of structures? Thanks.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    In the UK there is a development company called Urban Splash that have redeveloped a lot of former industrial buildings and have some fantastic examples of what can be done with them. Take a look at www.urbansplash.co.uk

Registered
    Jul 2006

old textile heritage

I worked with the SC Mayor's Institute for Community Design last year during which we discussed "new life for old mills" Check out the SC Design Arts Partnership and Preservation North Carolina (there should be more organizations similar to these in several New England states as well)

Quote Originally posted by Loulou View post
    I'm really interested in the preservation of old industrial sites and in their conversion to lofts, retail, etc when located in a feasible area. Are there any national organizations (other than Nat. Trust for Historic Preservation) that work specifically with these types of structures? Thanks.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Preserving Levittown
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Jan 2008, 6:56 PM
  2. Preserving park space
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Mar 2007, 1:17 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 23 Jun 2006, 7:36 PM