Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: She is a good representative of her side!

She is a good representative of her side!

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Outspoken U.S. conservative columnist Ann Coulter is drawing fire from Republicans and Democrats alike after publicly using a derogatory gay slur in reference to Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards.

"Ann Coulter not only once again went out of her way to use a nasty epithet, she pushed her offensiveness up a notch," Amy Ridenour, president of the National Center for Public Policy Research, said on Sunday.

Coulter made the comments on Friday during a speech at the influential American Conservative Union's Political Action Conference, calling Edwards a "faggot."

Is she for real? Last I knew Edwards was married and had a family... Oh wait! If you don't agree with someone then you must attack them....

Registered
    May 2005
    You can see it in action here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCeqZLrhkvQ

I'm generally a pretty diplomatic guy, but this lady rally chaps my a$$. She seems to get most of her accolades by using childish quips to make fun of people in ways that are generally considered bad form (case in point). And this is all she does, only she gets paid a lot of money to write books about it. She reminds me of some self-important high schooler (maybe middle school?) who climbs the social ladder by making fun of others. You can even hear the "ooohs!" in the video clip - right out of my high school experience when the "cool" kids would claim popularity by demeaning the socially awkward. Wow! You're pretty cool to be making fun of misfits!...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by wahday View post
    ...making fun of misfits!...
    Yeah...that was always pretty fun.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Coulter was raped by a dirty hippie at a McGovern rally when she was in college. This is why she hates the left so much.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Coulter was raped by a dirty hippie at a McGovern rally when she was in college. This is why she hates the left so much.
    No, it was probably benign and she was only jilted by said "dirty hippie"

Al Gore was such a scamp back then.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Surprised it took you lefties till 10:45 to jump on this one I expeced this thread to have 25 replies by the time I logged on at 8:45 this morning and first saw the headline on the news.

Bottom line she can say what she wants, she's a commentator and that's her job. There could have been more elloquent terms to use but in the end she's entitled to her own opinion.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Mar 2006
    Didn't we have an Ann Coulter thread before, but it got shut down?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2005
    If Ann Coulter didn't make statements like this, no one would ever hear from her. She must have a book coming out and had to get her name in the headlines. No such thing as bad publicity when your only objective is making money.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by cch View post
    Didn't we have an Ann Coulter thread before, but it got shut down?
    Moderator note:
    Yes, and this one is quickly heading that way. I'm not exactly sure how much room there is for civilized discussion based on the original post.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner View post
    Moderator note:
    Yes, and this one is quickly heading that way. I'm not exactly sure how much room there is for civilized discussion based on the original post.
    Considering how uncivilized the person the discussion is about, it's no wonder there can't be a civilized debate about her.

I'm not saying that she has no right to say what she says... because she does; neither am I saying that she has to be a square politically correct commentator. Besides you have to be a very weak commentator to base your comments on mere mudslingings, makes you doubt if she's rational at all.

Registered
    May 2002
    I'm not a fan of Coulter, but I heard an interesting thing on the radio that made me see this from a different point of view.

Ann said a stupid thing, but what was Edwards' response? With an opportunity to stand up to a bully (and she is) and show backbone that most people accuse democrats of not having, he issued some generic statement about how such language shouldn't be tolerated.

It would have been nice to hear Edwards say something like, "Ann Coulter? Who's she?" Or maybe, "Like a give a ____ what that ____ has to say" and then just turn and walk away.

You fill in the blanks.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Wonder how many times Dubya has been referred to as Hitler in the past 24 hours :/
    Ann Coulter is an author. Nothing more.

Since when does Hillary Clinton speak with a southern drawl?

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Bottom line she can say what she wants, she's a commentator and that's her job. There could have been more elloquent terms to use but in the end she's entitled to her own opinion.
    True, but given the audience she has, those of us who find her opinions offensive are also entitled to react. That she was speaking at a Conservative Political Action Committee event makes it all the more sad and depressing (the implication being that this is the kind of thing, supposedly, Republicans and other conservatives think is funny and ok). Of course, Coulter thinks Giulliani is "too liberal," so I guess she is pretty far out to the right and may not represent moderate conservative opinion, but that is the poison she spreads when saying things like this. She sure put Mitt Romney in a bind on this one (she spoke just after him and hailed him as the Republicans' best candidate).

I did not say she should be censored, but, again, I don't think this kind of behavior should go by without a response. She also could have called Barack Obama a ni##er if she wanted. But then, the rest of the country still would have the right to put her in her place.

And to respond to coragus, my favored reply by Edwards would have been "whatever." Fight adolescent humor with adolescent disaffection...
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Jeff View post

Off-topic:
    16 years in Arkansas has a strange effect on people...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Mar 2006

And to respond to coragus, my favored reply by Edwards would have been "whatever." Fight adolescent humor with adolescent disaffection...
    I think Edwards' response was a sort of "whatever". He refused to mention her specifically cause he didn't want her to get more attention, and he didn't want to sink to her level.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    She is hot, and I agree with some of the stuff that she says, but this is not one of them. I think that people are people and they should respect as such. Regardless of how she felt, she was way out of line for making that comment.
    Since she stepped off the plane in the south. Don’t worry she will have a cross between a Connecticut and a NYC accent when she campaigns in the North East.
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    May 2002
    If Ann Coulter was 50 pounds overweight, no one would be talking about what she said because no one would care.
    The cookies are worth the drive

Folks
    She's an attention-monger with a bad case of look-at-me syndrome. We give her credence by paying attention to what she says. If we just ignored her and didn't buy her books, she would just go away, except for the die-hard crowd she plays to. Look at Michael Moore, he doesn't get much press anymore and is largely ignored.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Apr 2006

Edwards is using her slur to raise "Coulter Cash" for his capaign. Her quip has backfired and is helping the Edwards camp.
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Perhaps it is like what happens to my mom when she starts talking to other Cajuns. Normally she has no Cajun accent (in her youth it was considered not cool to have a Cajun accent). But get her with a few of her contemporaries and starts sounding more and more Cajun. After an hour, she sounds like Justin Wilson's sister.

Put Hillary with some Southerners and she will unconsciously talk like them. Or maybe it is intentional. Who knows, other than she?
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jul 2005
    At least no one on this thread has mentioned her addams apple...

Oops.

Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
    -Larry Wall

Registered
    Jun 2003
    AIB safege
    When you Google AC's Adam's Apple.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    She is hot, .
    Never mind.
    Last edited by Zoning Goddess; 05 Mar 2007 at 9:23 PM. Reason: Second thoughts

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Coulter is the female Rush Limbaugh. She has gotten the limelight by running her mouth. She's saying things a certain group wants to hear. He11, Anna Nicole Smith grabbed the limelight by running her mouth too (among other things).
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    She is hot,

Your right...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AnnCoulterLingerie.jpg  
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 42
    Last post: 14 Feb 2013, 12:47 AM