Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Working in Toronto?

Registered
    Feb 2007

Working in Toronto?

Greetings,

My partner is very likely to take a teaching job in Ontario and I will be going with. We'll probably live in downtown Toronto and I would like to work in the city. As an American, the prospect of looking for work in another country seems intimidating. I have browsed through a lot of the earlier postings on this website about this topic and it seems that it might not be so difficult--I have already started reading up on the enabling legislation.

I'm just wondering if anyone can give me a sense of what the job market is like for private sector and public sector jobs in TO right now. I have about seven years of private sector experience in New York City and New Jersey.

Also, is it worthwhile to join CIP in advance of seeking a job? What are salaries like? I am used to a fairly high salary and cost of living here in NYC; it looks like housing costs are pretty low by comparison in Toronto judging by the postings on Craigslist so I'm steeling for a cut.

Thanks!

-planetcs

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Both private and public sector are looking pretty good right now. Getting in with TO is pretty difficult, you may have look a bit further afield. Alse be advised that there are only a few consultants in the core, so you'll likely face commutes to less central locations.

Pay varies greatly, depending on where you work and what you do. Figure in the public sector at least 55K and upwards to a max of about 80K, except for senior management.

No idea about the private sector
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Ditto what Donk said about the market for planners in Toronto. Your NYC experience would likely be seen as an asset should the City be hiring at all - they like exotic experience, especially in Urban Design or Policy.

Salaries in Toronto are high for Canada, but probably nothing compared to what you might be used to.

Registered
    Feb 2007

Working in Toronto

Thanks! Looking forward to my adventure in the Great White North.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Working in the UK
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 10:20 AM
  2. Working for the DOT?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Feb 2011, 2:35 PM
  3. The PM is not working
    Cyburbia Issues and Help