Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Question about GPA when applying to Grad School

Registered
    Dec 2006

Question about GPA when applying to Grad School

Hey Guys

For those of you who are in the process of being admitted, are currently admitted, or have a graduate degree behind you, I have a question. When a school such as Berkeley says they look at your last 2 years / 4 semesters, 60 hours, etc, does this usually include the fall you apply?

For example, I wish to enroll at Berkeley (or one of a select few others) in the fall of 2008. Applications are due 12/15/07 (at least for Berkeley). Will Berkeley wait for a copy of my transcript and look at my Fall 2007 semester which wraps up the second week in December and factor that into their calculations, or will it be for the period before Fall 2007?

Thanks for any help!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2006
    For Fall of 08 admissions, I would assume that schools will factor in your fall 07 grades since they are the most recent indication of your academic performance.

Registered
    Dec 2006
    thx ebina, that's what I am thinking

although... am I to assume that all of you in the Application Blues thread have absolutely no concrete idea on how your GPA has been calculated in the admissions, please tell me otherwise

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally posted by planr View post
    thx ebina, that's what I am thinking

although... am I to assume that all of you in the Application Blues thread have absolutely no concrete idea on how your GPA has been calculated in the admissions, please tell me otherwise
    I calculated my senior/junior GPA based on academic year. Right now I'm still a senior, so I 'technically' ignored their guidelines by not factoring in my last 60 units or whatever.. But it said junior/senior, so that's where I drew the line. And for me, my 4yr/2yr GPA's are almost identical. If there is a huge difference for you, I'd ask the department how they'd like the data represented (the main grad admissions office will not be the people deciding your acceptance, so ignore them unless you have a compelling reason not to).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Sep 2011, 11:58 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Sep 2011, 11:51 AM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 27 Mar 2011, 9:40 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Oct 2009, 10:42 PM
  5. Replies: 542
    Last post: 31 Mar 2008, 9:50 PM