Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What is the difference between form-based codes and smart codes?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2006

What is the difference between form-based codes and smart codes?

What is the difference between form-based code and smart code? Like smart code is a subtype of a form-base code?

Moderator note:
    Welcome to Cyburbia, veggie! Just a quick note to let you know I changed your thread title -- our rules require descriptive titles outside the Friday Afternoon Club (FAC).

Carry on!
    *Gedunker*
    Last edited by Gedunker; 06 Mar 2007 at 7:45 PM.

Yes, The SmartCode is an example of a form-based code and the only one I know of that's available "off the shelf" (although it should be "calibrated" first, i.e., altered to fit local practices).

Registered
    May 2005
    Yes, Smart Code is New Urbanist Andres Duany's patented form-based code. It is a template, modifiable to a variety of specific conditions.

http://www.tndtownpaper.com/Volume5/smartcode.htm

Form-based codes are zoning ordinances that focus on the form, scale, massing and placement of buildings rather than allowable uses (which you probably know). Often these are also "mixed-use" settings where land use is not restricted to a particular type (within those allowable by the code - not heavy manufacturing next to a residence, for example). Thus a particular lot could have a house, a commercial business, or a combination of both.

Form-based codes are also often graphic in nature (showing lot sizes, setbacks, massing, etc.), with little regulatory language.

I actually like the form-based code approach (especially their graphic nature), although I think that adhering too stringently to New Urbanist principles of town design does not necessarily mean a place will be "better."
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 16 Jun 2011, 5:44 PM
  2. Form based codes for small, oceanfront town
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 18 Nov 2009, 1:23 PM
  3. Form based codes Form based codes
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 28