Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stanfest 2007

Registered
    Feb 2004

Stanfest 2007

It's time to start the ball rolling.

Who what where when how and why? Okay, scratch the why part. The answer is beer.

What's a good time of year for folks to attend?

This year we'd like to incorporate more activities than just beers at Bell's. Sure, we can all do the beer garden thing but I'd like to hear some suggestions from you on what YOU think would be fun or informative activities - a tour of Kalamazoo brownfield redev sites? A tour of Kalamazoo watering holes? Perhaps a multiple day type of event (you know, like Woodstock and associated aftermath)? Maybe make a (relatively short) journey to Lake Michigan or possibly some other communities within, say, a half hour distance? Canoe the Kalamazoo river?

Also, nothing says it even has to be in Kalamazoo this year - are there any other locales that pique your interest?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Also, nothing says it even has to be in Kalamazoo this year - are there any other locales that pique your interest?
    How about Sydney, Australia? ha ha
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Although I like K'zoo, Ann Arbor would be a good alternative, although it's farther away from the Chicago and Wisconsin crowd.

What about New Holland Brewing? Three Floyds would also make a good destination.

I got a passport a few months ago, so I'd do Sydney. If I could fly there for under US$500. And not have to drink Foster's.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Ok, so I haven't been around much, but the whole beer - MI thing piqued my interest!

I am game for whatever. Kzoo, A2, etc are all pretty central for the state as well as those interested in coming from WI, IN, IL, OH, etc.

Hey, what about Marshall? Easy access from 69, 94, and even 80/90. Dark Horse Brewing Company, the Copper, Stagecoach, etc. Nothing high brow about any of them, but lots of fun and all within walking distance!

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Although I like K'zoo, Ann Arbor would be a good alternative, although it's farther away from the Chicago and Wisconsin crowd.

What about New Holland Brewing? Three Floyds would also make a good destination.
    Holland sounds good. Does it have to be a micro brew or is that a plus?

Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner View post
    Ok, so I haven't been around much, but the whole beer - MI thing piqued my interest!

I am game for whatever. Kzoo, A2, etc are all pretty central for the state as well as those interested in coming from WI, IN, IL, OH, etc.

Hey, what about Marshall? Easy access from 69, 94, and even 80/90. Dark Horse Brewing Company, the Copper, Stagecoach, etc. Nothing high brow about any of them, but lots of fun and all within walking distance!
    I am not sure if I would be welcomed to my old place of employment,

Can we do it on a 3 day weekend like Memorial Day so I can fly back?
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    I am not sure if I would be welcomed to my old place of employment,

Can we do it on a 3 day weekend like Memorial Day so I can fly back?
    Of course you would! We just won't stop into City Hall!! Most anytime will work for me as long as I get a babysitter!!

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Well, there is a Standale right outside of Grand Rapids. What better place for Stanfest than Standale?

Grand Rapids has Yesterdog for sloppy chili cheesedog goodness.

Slightly off-topic, my brother lives in G.R. and has just completed his first beer brewing attempt. The great unveiling took place earlier this evening and he claims that it doesn't taste like feet. Perhaps he can serve.
    How about you take a gander at making an executive decision for once, huh?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by rosierivets View post
    Well, there is a Standale right outside of Grand Rapids. What better place for Stanfest than Standale?

Grand Rapids has Yesterdog for sloppy chili cheesedog goodness.

Slightly off-topic, my brother lives in G.R. and has just completed his first beer brewing attempt. The great unveiling took place earlier this evening and he claims that it doesn't taste like feet. Perhaps he can serve.
    Actually GR would be a very good location. There's a lot going on in the Universe of Planning downtown right now. Mskis lives right in the epicenter and is well positioned to provide Cyburbian tours. There are a number of good bars, Irish pubs and microbreweries to choose from in the area.

Hey I know! We could drive up and down 28th Street and play 'planner disaster bingo'. I could make up the cards and Mskis can be the driver/caller ("......okay, I see poor access management [everyone ticks off cards] "okay, now I see a parking lot with no interior landscaping" "I see three billboards within 400 feet" "BINGO!!!"....)

Registered
    Aug 2001

IANAEP but

stanfest in GR wouldl benefit from the local cyburbian influence, hi rise cocktail party, downtown night life, recuperating in the sun/shade with swimming and food and lounge chairs...bring your floaties

we have the Gr Trolley at our disposal, drinks on board, no smo9king, heated but no ac.

or hummmer service.

make it a 1.5/2 day event.

On second preview, AnnArbor would be great too I have never been there, ZIngermans deli a must! I would like to visit the recycling cooperative that is in that area,

Registered
    May 2005
    As a resident in the city proper, I too vote for Grand Rapids, although if held in K-zoo I will attend this year.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I think I'd prefer GR or AA vs kzoo for distance, but I say it every year and have a hard time making it. don't count me in, or out .... yet.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Actually GR would be a very good location. There's a lot going on in the Universe of Planning downtown right now. Mskis lives right in the epicenter and is well positioned to provide Cyburbian tours. There are a number of good bars, Irish pubs and microbreweries to choose from in the area.

Hey I know! We could drive up and down 28th Street and play 'planner disaster bingo'. I could make up the cards and Mskis can be the driver/caller ("......okay, I see poor access management [everyone ticks off cards] "okay, now I see a parking lot with no interior landscaping" "I see three billboards within 400 feet" "BINGO!!!"....)
    [sarcasm] No... not Grand Rapids, that place sucks. [/sarcasm]

Lets see, we have some of the best adaptive reuses for any post industrial city, we have around 2 billion dollars of development going on in downtown, several pubs, bars, and restaurants, amazing night life, and the core of the city is very pedestrian friendly.

While the out side pub was nice, there is a bar in downtown GR (THE BOB) that has an outside area that overlooks Van Andel Arena. Additionally, I would be more that willing to talk to a developer friend if we would like a walking/ development tour of downtown. I am also on the Neighborhood Association Board for the nation's first residential historic district (Heritage Hill), and would be able to download several walking tours that would be available either for a group or a self guided.

I would also like to add that Decatur Hawk works in downtown!

I too vote for Grand Rapids, and would suggest June 9th, 2007.

Here are a few links
    http://www.visitgrandrapids.org/
    http://www.rapidgrowthmedia.com/
    http://www.thebob.com/
    http://www.grand-rapids.mi.us/

and here is a thread about Grand Rapids.
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26630
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    As a resident in the city proper, I too vote for Grand Rapids, although if held in K-zoo I will attend this year.
    I thought that you where in A2. Where in the City do you live?
    Quote Originally posted by Jen View post
    stanfest in GR wouldl benefit from the local cyburbian influence, hi rise cocktail party, downtown night life, recuperating in the sun/shade with swimming and food and lounge chairs...bring your floaties
    Depending on weather, I would be willing to host part of it on our roof top deck overlooking Heritage Hill and Downtown. (if it is finished by then) But I agree that this could end up being open as a multi day venue.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Gilmore car museum?
    Is there a beirgarten at the Binder Park zoo?
    How about a NASCAR weekend in Brooklyn/Irish Hills?

or maybe pitch a bunch of tents at Detroit Planner's fortess of solitude in a tiny burgh in the Huron National Forest?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    We'll eventually do a poll for the official date and location, but for now let's get some suggestions on the table.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    How about South Haven. Walkable downtown, on Lake Michigan, easy access for the WI, IL crowd and a small police force so debauchery can ensue...
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Brocktoon View post
    How about South Haven. Walkable downtown, on Lake Michigan, easy access for the WI, IL crowd and a small police force so debauchery can ensue...
    Hmmmmm......does anyone own a boat?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Hmmmmm......does anyone own a boat?
    Is that such a safe idea?
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Only problem with S Haven is the cost. Weekend rooms for those having to go a far distance would not be cheap in the summer. K-zoo and back is about the extent of my willingness to drive in one day. Now maybe if we move it up to say the weekend after St Paddy's day......
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Ideal Setting For Plannergeeks

Just thought of a quaint little place that fits well with a "plannergeek" group. This beautiful location has.....

Beautiful Turn-Of-The-Century Architecture
    Magnificent homes line the tree-shaded streets, most more than a century old. One of the homes could take a well-deserved bow for uniqueness. Commercial architecture here is "well-rounded".

Beautiful Setting
    This area is in a setting that has to be seen to be believed. As you approach the village you will realize that you are coming-upon one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Quaint Village Park
    Ahh yes, the village park, facing the main street. Staid old trees, swingsets for youngsters, picnic tables and grills, statuary. This green setting will take you back in time.

Central Business District
    The central business district is a fun walk. Smiling visitors and locals share grass-attacking-the-cracks sidewalks. Young couples stroll happily along, older couples move slower.....a CBD that broadens their senior minds, bringing back many memories of younger days and a different world. Well-tailored shops beckon the visitors while the tall village sidewalk clock warns all that the Noon hour has arrived.

Transit
    If you disdain automobile traffic, this potential Stanfest 2007 host town is just for you! The prefered and normal methods of transit get you where you are going, often with good-old-fashioned pedal power.

History
    Cyburbians have a fair number of history geeks in their populace. The village and the surrounding area has history written all over it. This history can be viewed from locations approaching the heavens.

Food & Drink
    We all know one of the primary reasons for Stanfest.....food and drinks with friends who share similar interests. The entire area is filled with fine establishments, almost all within a short walk or a $1 taxicab ride. One watering hole is famous for wine!
    _____

The above-mentioned village (and surrounding area) is really a near-perfect fit for Cyburbians with discriminating taste......are there any other kind?
    _____

Any guesses?
    _____

Put-In-Bay
    This beautiful drinking village with a fishing problem is located in the western basin of Lake Erie, on South Bass Island. The century-old homes are really there, quite stunning with their "Don't Tread On Me" flags and 4th of July bunting hanging from second-floor porches.

One home (taking the "bow") is built on a rocky cliff, using the front portion (the bow) of a Great Lakes Freighter. The Roundhouse Bar is really a round building. Go ahead, google it.

The transit? Boats, of course. Hundreds of pleasure craft, ferries from Port Clinton, Catawba Point, or Sandusky. A boater's paradise. Many folks rent bikes and tour the island. Some rent golf carts. There are only a few cars on the entire island. (Taxicabs really are a buck.....or at least they were 2 years ago.)

History can be had at the impressive Perry's Monument, at 352 feet high it is the world's most massive doric column. From the viewing deck on the top you can see all three Bass Islands, the beautiful Put-In-Bay harbor, many other islands, and on a clear day, Canada.

The drinking can't be challenged. Frosty's (Pizza & Beer), The Roundhouse Bar, the Boathouse, The Beer Barrel Saloon (with the world's longest bar!).....and many others. A short walk from the CBD is a small winery.

This Bear has enjoyed and suffered-through just about every type of human emotion and/or situation on this island. I continue to go back. I will go back this summer. Perhaps when I go back, Cyburbians would be joining me.

Location: About 40 miles east of Toledo. Access to the island is via a number of different ferry services. We use the Jet Ferry, from Port Clinton. If doing a day trip, get to the ferry dock mid-morning or you may wait for a few crossings (30 minutes) to take place before you get a chance to board. Buy your return trip ticket when you disembark and plan your day based on that. The late night ferries are always packed. I have crossed the lake at 3:00 AM on the "jet".....it was a holiday weekend and I was slow to buy ducats.

Best choice for a motel would be in Port Clinton. Get your room, walk (or taxi) to the ferry dock, enjoy the day, ferry back, crash at room.
    _____

Tour over. I know you won't buy in. Yes, Bell's. GR, or Ann Arbor would be great choices.

Bear Making A Frosty Case

Edit: Almost forgot to mention. This Bear quite easy to find, even in the crowds. Just look for the older guy with a grey beard, carrying what appears to be a "duck plunger". That plunger is my friend, "George". He goes with me every trip to "The Bay".
    Last edited by Bear Up North; 07 Mar 2007 at 8:07 PM. Reason: Alter-Ego Kick In
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Bear ya forgot about the caves and wineries (sp?)!

You can also cross another National Park off your list by visiting Perry's Monument.

My first impression of PIB? Mackinac Island with lots of beer. And to think I was wondering if it was worth the boatfare before we went over there!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    PIB sounds cool, do they have an open container law?

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by rosierivets View post
    What better place for Stanfest than Standale?.
    Don't forget Stanwood near Big Rapids. Though, that may be too personal.

I would definitely go for Grand Rapids, but Kzoo would be fine too.

Though timing may be hard this year, because the baby is due the middle of July, so pretty June, July, and August are no goes for me.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    now now, we havent set a date, chances are you will be coming through sometime postpartum on your way to gramma's right? stop in kzoo and show off the baby, maybe? we'll annoint him with beer!

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Jen View post
    now now, we havent set a date, chances are you will be coming through sometime postpartum on your way to gramma's right? stop in kzoo and show off the baby, maybe? we'll annoint him with beer!
    That is definitely an option.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    PIB gets my vote!!

I may very well be able to attend this year. My EX moved to Ann Arbor a few weeks ago and the boys are going to be visiting him for a week this summer and my oldest is afraid to fly without me so I may be driving them up to see him...perhaps I will coordinate it with him and the boys to drop them off at the same time as the Stanfest and grab a drink with everyone before heading back to STL.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. StanFest 09
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 06 Feb 2009, 10:08 AM
  2. Replies: 95
    Last post: 15 Jun 2007, 11:16 PM
  3. Stanfest 2007 Date Poll
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 13