Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: livable neighborhoods in mainland Miami?

Registered
    Jan 2005

livable neighborhoods in mainland Miami?

The City of Miami has a terrible reputation as a place to live. It has some of the most crime-ridden neighborhoods in the U.S., horrendous traffic, little open space or tree cover, and a notoriously corrupt municipal government.

My question is: are there any livable neighborhoods left in mainland Miami anymore that don't consist of gates or luxury condo towers? Does the city have a truly urban area that is not dysfunctional? What about downtown and Coconut Grove? I have been to Miami Beach and only driven through mainland Miami briefly. All I have heard are horror stories about the mainland but intend to visit soon.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    My question is: are there any livable neighborhoods left in mainland Miami anymore that don't consist of gates or luxury condo towers? Does the city have a truly urban area that is not dysfunctional?
    I have visited Miami frequently (a lot of family there) and would recommend visiting:

1. Little Havana (SW 8th St/Calle Ocho between SW 27th Ave and SW 4th Ave), though one would need to speak Spanish

2. Coconut Grove (centered on Grand at McFarlane and northwest of there)

3. Brickell (between Coconut Grove and downtown)

4. Design District (centered on NE 1st Ave and NE 39th St)

5. Of course Coral Gables (one of the most beautiful cities in the US), though not part of the City of Miami

One needs to be careful to avoid succumbing to the negative stereotypes about Miami that tend to be very prevalent in Florida. If you are bothered by Latin American and Carribbean cultures and languages then you will surely not enjoy Miami.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    The only parts that are still affordable and not dangerous are out around 'downtown' Miami. Out west of I-95 are some residential areas, there’s also Hialeah, Coral Gables, Homestead, Southwest Ranches, Miami Shores, North Miami, etc.

South Beach was actually affordable until 10-15 years ago; of course you would have wanted to be 65 or older.... I have always liked Coconut Grove, but it used to be a somewhat dangerous place. There are a lot of wonderful enclaves adjacent to the 'downtown', but they are not affordable.
    What’s in a name? – Your reputation….:)

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Don't fret, in the coming years we will all be able to buy one of the 70,000 condos in the pipeline along Biscayne Boulevard.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Miami....

Quote Originally posted by Flying Monkeys View post
    The only parts that are still affordable and not dangerous are out around 'downtown' Miami. Out west of I-95 are some residential areas, there’s also Hialeah, Coral Gables, Homestead, Southwest Ranches, Miami Shores, North Miami, etc.
    I interviewed for the directors position in Miami Shores a while back and was given a great tour by the City Manager. This community is a microcosim of Miami, McMansions near the water, nice middle to upper income homes in the center and look out when you get north of NE 103rd Street. The area arround the walled Barry University is rough and tough, althought the campus is kinda cool in a cozy way. El Portal to the South looked like it was trying to enhance its image as well....

I don't think they wanted to pay me what I thought I was worth....so didn't get an offer.....or maybe I'm just not as good as I think I am ....
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by jmello View post
    Don't fret, in the coming years we will all be able to buy one of the 70,000 condos in the pipeline along Biscayne Boulevard.
    Wonder if they made Biscayne a Transportation Concurrency Exception Area to add all that density ... yeah right. Seriously though, how does the traffic compare to other big cities?

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Actually there is a rather large TCEA there....From DCA..

"Miami-Dade County TCEA
    Acers:128,000
    Justification,Type: Urban Infill, Urban Redevelopment,Public Transit
    Facitities Affected:I-95. I-75, FL Turnpike,
    SR 826, SR 836, SR 112

Footnotes:
    (2)Miami-Dade County TCEA includes TCEAS for the municipalities of Aventura, Hialeah, Miami, Miami Beach, Miami Gardens, Miami Lakes, Miami Shores, Miami Springs, North Miami Beach, Palmetto Bay, Pinecrest, South Miami.
    (3) Although included within the Miami-Dade County TCEA boundary, these municipalities do not reference or adopt the TCEA within their respective comprehensive plans: Bal Harbour, Bay Harbour Islands, Biscayne Park, El Portal, Golden Beach, Indian Creek Village, Key Biscayne, Medley, North Bay Village, North Miami, Opa-Locka, Sunny Isles Beach, Surfside, Virginia Gardens, West Miami."

One big momma of a TCEA....And the traffic sucks.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    ...McMansions near the water...
    Those aren't McMansions, those are good ole fashioned mansions. Some of the weathiest people in the world have homes along Biscayne Bay and the Intracoastal Waterway in Miami-Dade County.

http://www.alexshay.com/shay-graphic...nd%20Drive.jpg

Registered
    Jan 2005
    One big momma of a TCEA....And the traffic sucks.
    Don't worry, help is on the way
    http://www.miamiherald.com/460/story/67763.html

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Don't worry, help is on the way
    http://www.miamiherald.com/460/story/67763.html
    Remember that tune..."The heat is on, on the street..' from Caddy shack I think....anyway, change it to "The squeeze is on, on the street..."

That is really sad. I-95 was just finished being widened in that area about 8 years ago. This is one area where all out transit efforts should be made, and on a regional level. Including moving tri-rail to the eastern track line. In fact, I believe all prop share is going to be funneled into transit from now on. I hope they get it right.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Remember that tune..."The heat is on, on the street..' from Caddy shack I think....anyway, change it to "The squeeze is on, on the street..."

That is really sad. I-95 was just finished being widened in that area about 8 years ago. This is one area where all out transit efforts should be made, and on a regional level. Including moving tri-rail to the eastern track line. In fact, I believe all prop share is going to be funneled into transit from now on. I hope they get it right.
    Looks like they should focus on east-west transit. The 836 wasn't designed to handle the traffic volume it currently serves due to western sprawl.

I don't know if I-95 is still a problem in Miami but it really sucks up in Palm Beach County, where it is only 3-4 lanes in most sections. I think it is at level of service F

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Looks like they should focus on east-west transit. The 836 wasn't designed to handle the traffic volume it currently serves due to western sprawl.
    I have never driven a more congested road that was actually moving. It was quite amazing actually.

P.S. I forgot to mention how horrific Miami drivers are. In the span of one hour, you are likely to see 5-10 crashes. And this is not simply due to congestion or density. I have not seen anywhere near those numbers in other larger cities.

Registered
    Sep 2005
    You know what else you see a lot of on the road in SF? A lot of cars that should be condemned. I have never seen more junk with no tag, broken windows, two or three of those little spare tires, no side mirrors, and blowing clouds of smoke, rolling down the road than in SF. It is weird...pull up at a light and you might be side by side with a $200,000 Porsche and a $100 rat trap with a cardboard tag! Amazing!

Also, how about an elevated train down the middle of the 836?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    P.S. I forgot to mention how horrific Miami drivers are. In the span of one hour, you are likely to see 5-10 crashes. And this is not simply due to congestion or density. I have not seen anywhere near those numbers in other larger cities.
    Treasure Coast drivers aren't much better. The amount of wrecks on I-95 on a daily basis boggles my mind.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The City of Miami has a terrible reputation as a place to live. It has some of the most crime-ridden neighborhoods in the U.S., horrendous traffic, little open space or tree cover, and a notoriously corrupt municipal government.

My question is: are there any livable neighborhoods left in mainland Miami anymore that don't consist of gates or luxury condo towers? Does the city have a truly urban area that is not dysfunctional? What about downtown and Coconut Grove? I have been to Miami Beach and only driven through mainland Miami briefly. All I have heard are horror stories about the mainland but intend to visit soon.
    I think the place still has some great residenntial neighborhoods, imo. My family and friends still live in area; Miami SPrings, Lakes, Biscayne Gardens (Uninc?) the Gables and So. Miami. Its a nice region, very tropical, very peopled, very loud, insanity on the roads to be sure.

I remember there are some pretty nice beaches, state parks, and the ICW provides an entirely different setting from which to see the area.

I wonder if the islands and keys in the bay are gated now? Public roads they used to be, conch houses and manses, surrounded by water with a miami view,

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Also, how about an elevated train down the middle of the 836?
    I am sure that you know about the recently passed transportation sales tax and this:

http://www.miamidade.gov/citt/

and this:

http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/cor...or/ew_home.asp

Registered
    Sep 2005
    No...have not kept up on SF. On the surface this sounds like a better investment than the 'People Mover' proposed in Broward. It was basically going to shuttle tourists from Port Everglades to Ft. Lauderdale Airport.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yup....

Those aren't McMansions, those are good ole fashioned mansions. Some of the weathiest people in the world have homes along Biscayne Bay and the Intracoastal Waterway in Miami-Dade County.

http://www.alexshay.com/shay-graphic...nd%20Drive.jpg
    Those in the picture sure are mansions.....I was just thinking of a few of the examples I saw in Miami Shores. People demo'ing older nicer homes in place of the two-three story McMansion on the 50'-75' by 125' lots.

My main problem with the entire Miami to W. Palm Beach megalopolis is traffic.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Jan 2005
    my main problem with it is drivers like this..

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 08 Jan 2013, 10:49 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 20 Jan 2009, 11:21 PM
  3. Livable Centers Initiative
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Nov 2008, 2:38 PM
  4. Parks for livable cities
    Design, Space, and Place